Thread: Tim Pilbeamís article on Chamois hunting.

Tim Pilbeamís article on Chamois hunting.

Hi All,Re: Tim Pilbeamís article on Chamois hunting.This monthís edition of sporting rifle contains an article regarding Chamois hunting inAustria. Tim Pilbeam states at the end of his column that locals use riflescope with nothing over a 40mm objective lens also the do not use bipods as the are considered to unbalance the rifle and add unnecessary weight. Interesting observations!Regards,Glendine
    Last edited by Glendine; 07-02-2013 at 16:27.

Hi Glendine, I am curious what's your connection with Sporting Rifle and Simon Barr if any then? You seem to be talking up the magazine or mentioning it a fair bit, do you have any connection at all with that magazine or is it simply just that it is the one you read regularly.

I read the article also and it seems to me that the Austrians are using their heads, no point in carrying additional unneccessary weight on the mountain is there. They will be shooting in daylight so no need for large objective lens, and bipods even the swivel variety don't really offer any real advantage over a day pack on a steep mountainside.
    Last edited by 8x57; 07-02-2013 at 16:44.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I shot a Chamois on the Austrian Alps in 1968 with my Merkel O/U DB 7X65R rifle.
    No bipod and using a Zeiss 6X42 scope with the No.1 reticle.

The terrain was very similar to that of our Lakeland mountains which I had been stalking for seven previous seasons.
    My friend Albrecht offered me a shot at a barren female at about 300 yards or so.
    I was zeroed for a 200 yard central strike which was my normal setting for my own ground as I have always tried to be a close range stalker and not a long range plinker/plonker.
    I said to him let us get closer and at about 180 yards I got my rucksack on a rock for a firm rest and dropped the beast with a convential heart/lung shot.
    After the traditional `Waidmanns Heil and Waidmanns Danks` we set off to gather up my carcase.
    His Bavarian Bloodhound in the meantime had taken off across the ravine and was licking the exit wound of my dead beast.
    This disturbed it and it slid down the steep slope and got caught up by some stunted bushes.
    Albrecht had not seen this happen and took me over to where the animal had been standing at the time of my shot.
    He was greatly disturbed but joyful when I showed him where it was.
    For me to perform the gralloch he hooked the horns into the ground to prevent further sliding.

A unique experience and a wonderful outing.
    HWH.
    Last edited by stag1933; 07-02-2013 at 16:45. Reason: Attempt to add picture.

Hi 8X57,It might appear that way through previous posts but I do not have any connection to the magazine what so ever most days at lunch time I go to the local news agent and read the shooting magazine. I feel if I cannot be out stalking I might as well read about it. Regards,Glendine

Quote Originally Posted by Glendine View Post
    Hi All,Re: Tim Pilbeam’s article on Chamois hunting.This month’s edition of sporting rifle contains an article regarding Chamois hunting inAustria. Tim Pilbeam states at the end of his column that locals use riflescope with nothing over a 40mm objective lens also the do not use bipods as the are considered to unbalance the rifle and add unnecessary weight. Interesting observations!Regards,Glendine
    Well the 3 times I have been Chamios stalking I have always borrowed a rifle, all 3 times they have had an objective of 40mm.

None of the rifles have had Bipods but then again they are way more traditional with their kit over there. I would be pretty appalled if I had been give a mannlicher schoenauer 1956 with a nasty bipod on it.

Personally I think both of those reasons are crap.

Hopefully picture is here.
    HWH.

Quote Originally Posted by stag1933 View Post
    Hopefully picture is here.HWH.
    Wow! Thanks for you post great story.

I do not have a scope more than 6x42 on any of my 9 rifles nor do I use bipods. I manage to shoot plenty of deer.
    for quick point and shoot 4x32 on the 243
    plus when in the Scottish hill less is better
    Andrew

I shot a Chamois in August of last year. I used a bipod and my scope has an objective lens of 56mms. I did not feel out of place and enjoyed every moment of it! Next time I go Alpine shooting, I will dispense with the bipod for the sole reason that a rucksack makes a better rest in mountainous terrain............

Chamois are not much bigger than Roe, and sometimes they have to be taken at range (mine was 240 meters away when I shot him), a 6x powered scope would be insufficient for my eyes, and I suspect I am not alone, but each to their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckbones View Post
    I do not have a scope more than 6x42 on any of my 9 rifles nor do I use bipods. I manage to shoot plenty of deer.for quick point and shoot 4x32 on the 243 plus when in the Scottish hill less is betterAndrew
    Great post thanks. You will have to post a photo of your set up please.