Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A question for professional deerstalkers/ Hunting guides?

A question for professional deerstalkers/ Hunting guides?

As this forum is lucky enough to be graced with a volume of people who could answer this question. What is the digest mistake client make whilst in your company out stalking?Maybe you could elaborate in relation to hunting gear the tote along or most interesting for me the hunting tactics the employ. Is there much noticeable difference between Hunters of different nations?Please feel free to use this tread as a method to get it off you chest!Regards,Glendine.

I'm not a pro but I take family and friends out to join me..the biggest mistakes I see:

a. not walking quietly or avoiding stepping on sticks, etc.
    b. inability to SHUT THE F*** UP
    c. coughing/clearing throat at the wrong time - an uncanny ability to always pick the wrong time for this annoying habit!
    d. taking too long to take a shot
    e. not crouching/sneaking when stalking into a deer, but walking tall with the white face pointing at the deer
    f. pointing a rifle with a chambered round in my direction and not checking the safety catch frequently

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    I'm not a pro but I take family and friends out to join me..the biggest mistakes I see:

a. not walking quietly or avoiding stepping on sticks, etc.
    b. inability to SHUT THE F*** UP
    c. coughing/clearing throat at the wrong time - an uncanny ability to always pick the wrong time for this annoying habit!
    d. taking too long to take a shot
    e. not crouching/sneaking when stalking into a deer, but walking tall with the white face pointing at the deer
    f. pointing a rifle with a chambered round in my direction and not checking the safety catch frequently
    Sounds like the first time I went out with a Pro apart from the last one F lol

I find it's along day if the client does not have sence of humour!
    The hunters from Europe I have encountered last year take time and effort in presenting their trophies, from removing ant sign of blood to polishing the antlers or horns before pictures.

the best one I've had was crawling over a hill in argyll, on my face in the mud, bringing the bino's up for a quick spy through the heather, and the gentleman I was with stood upright behind me looking over the hill...I mean,,is it not clear I wanted him to get down too?

Walking 20 meters away from me. No good when I spot a herd of fallow.

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    the best one I've had was crawling over a hill in argyll, on my face in the mud, bringing the bino's up for a quick spy through the heather, and the gentleman I was with stood upright behind me looking over the hill...I mean,,is it not clear I wanted him to get down too?
    An identical experience to one of my own !
    The beast took off and stopped on a nasty steep stoney area much further away.
    Eventually we got into it and it was taken into custody.

I made him drag it off himself as a lesson.

HWH.

My lamping mate is the worst,he learn to whisper in a helicopter

SD Regular
    One of the most frustrating things, alluded to in previous posts, is clients who do not listen. It's not about technique (on the whole), but more about the 'local knowledge' type stuff - or what are you there for?
    This comes over and above the range between too much and no kit (the chap who looked like he was on a hiking holiday - including the tin cups clanking off the back of the rucksack......(I think actually it was his 'mobile gralloching station').
    Squeaky/noisy kit is a pet hate of mine as it is very hard to sort - human noise is a bit easier.......
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

shooting the wrong deer.... which is out of season