Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: off sticks

off sticks

I know its been discussed,but how do you practice off sticks.
    I have tried all sorts and for the life of me, I am all over the shop,not so much bullet placement.
    Its more a case of,not happy with me and the sight picture,moving around,seems like the longer you wait the worse it gets.
    So how can practice help when,the whole process,feels so unstable?..

put gun on sticks, aim at said target and fire mate

if you piss around you will start to wobble all over the place

Get your stance right - one foot in front of the other, depending if you're a lefty or righty. Rifle in the right position in the sticks - so its not too close to the action or too close to the fore end. Then it's a matter of opinion here, I reach around (insert own joke) the sticks and grip the bit of stock in front of the sticks and make sure it's firmly tucked into my shoulder. Some find it easier to grip the sticks themselves. Either way you need to make sure it's tucked well into your shoulder and firmly sat in the sticks. Then your own take on waiting for he shot through the scope, but practise practise practise and you will get better!

Tom
    I'm telling Captain - from the Wee'est of men.

Quote Originally Posted by tony rentokil View Post
    I know its been discussed,but how do you practice off sticks.
    I have tried all sorts and for the life of me, I am all over the shop,not so much bullet placement.
    Its more a case of,not happy with me and the sight picture,moving around,seems like the longer you wait the worse it gets.
    So how can practice help when,the whole process,feels so unstable?..
    It's not me in the photo, but another Forum member with my 4 sticks. I try and practice from time to time. I use a target like the one below and generally try 2 prone with bipod, 2 off elbows, 2 sitting and 2 standing at 100yds or more. However, sometimes I just shoot standing with the 4 sticks and walk towards the target. Stop, take 2 shots and advance again, take 2 more shots and advance. In an ideal world I would practice every day, but work gets in the way. Another thing I have done is take the air rifle and just practice with it at about 20 yds or so. I've even tried the .22 off the sticks once or twice.

My current error is to set the sticks up too low for me.

Good luck. JCS
    Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 07-02-2013 at 19:10.

tony thats exactly what happens ,shooting off sticks practice the set up and shoot . the longer you wait the more you wobble so practice the shot set the sticks with the legs away from you hold the tops and push with your arm so everything is as stable as possible sort your breathing and squeeze the trigger when you are on target dont hang around as soon as crosshairs are right let it go and keep this practice up. you soon get the confidence and things build try this on paper till its natural. this should then convert to stalking but try not to be set too long waiting for a shot ,atb wayne
    ps i do the same thing on every shot i take which is set the sticks so its comfortable acuire my target take my two breaths to steady, push the set trigger forward as i am about to release the safety and fire if the deer moves or is moving i just set up but dont set myself till it looks like its going to be on and if it moves i just relax back . the more you hang around trying to keep steady the more you move .

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

I have tied a length of cord to the top of the sticks, when you want to shoot stand on the cord and push the sticks away. It makes a lot of difference, then just practice.

Is it a requirement to use sticks? I have never used them as we don't need them here.

2 sticks or four?

2 sticks, (IMO) you need to lean into the sticks or depending on location lean against a tree, fence, rock or failing that stand almost sideways to the sticks and tilt your hips away from the sticks lean into the hip furthest away from the sticks. (that make sense?)

I also dont panic too much about moving, so long as you are moving in a predictable manner either with breathing or swaying, you can still pull the trigger smoothly on a moving target (whether it is you moving or it!)

get the .22 out and go bash some bunnies at short range
    does marvels for the stick confidence

Well although only been shooting CF rifles for a couple years. (so sorry if I'm too new to be giving advice) I was keen to get proficient off sticks. I start out at 40 or 50 yds on twin sticks with the scope set down at only 5 or 6 mag. Bang a couple of rounds in a target then move out 20 yds and so on out to 100 or 120 yds. Like the others say don't try and get clover leaf groups as it's more important to get a 2" group but get the shots off quick. Deer don't tend to stay still or hang around for long when your'e 40 -80 yds away. Then just keep practising. I try and practise every couple weeks if I've not been out on the real thing. ATB.

I agree with the other posts, don't look down the scope too long. Point in the right direction, look through the scope and pull the trigger. I find if I don't get it off quick you have your heart beat and everything else to contend with.