Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Trophy sika

  1. #1

    Trophy sika

    Hi people.
    I have a mate in USA that is very interested in coming over and taken a gold medel sika.
    Just wondering how much this would cost him.
    Cheers
    alan

  2. #2
    >??????????????

    Not a question of money ...more a question of finding a suitable beast and then getting into it .... !

    CVK

  3. #3
    send me a pm

  4. #4
    Wild gold Sika are worth top money. Not many in the Shooting Times review compared to Roe etc.

  5. #5
    I always find it odd that for some reason those from the US always come here wanting some specific "achievement." I've no idea what is behind this and guess that it is merely a difference in cultures but to me it always seems like they miss out on the "experience" in favour of the "achievement." I guess they think I'm strange as well and I'm not saying there is anything wrong with such an approach but just pointing out that you can usually get a lot more of a hunting experience if you relax on the "objectives" a bit. I guess my attitude is also driven my a severe lack of disposable income, maybe your mate has the cash for a gold sika and a week at stags :-)

    However, it might be worth pointing out to your mate that for the sort of money he might pay for a gold medal sika he could have probably a week at red stags somewhere in the highlands. Sure his stags might all be cull beasts but he'd get to spend a week on the ground getting to know it, and to know the stalkers, and he might get to travel up the loch to his beat in a boat, or extract down the loch in a boat, or extract with a garron, or spend a day in front of the fire with a whisky as bad weather blows through, or sit behind a rock while the first snow shower of the season crosses the hill, or walk off the hill while the sun sets over the Atlantic and the ghillie steers a cull stag down to the track, or... Whatever happens he will have a lot of good stories to tell on his return and I bet each of his cull trophies has a cracking tale associated with it. Whereas with his gold medal sika he might be taken out into a park somewhere, plonked in a high seat, pointed at his sika and that is his hunt over. The latter is fine if you really must have the trophy, but it isn't really the hunt of a lifetime.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/




  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    I always find it odd that for some reason those from the US always come here wanting some specific "achievement." I've no idea what is behind this and guess that it is merely a difference in cultures but to me it always seems like they miss out on the "experience" in favour of the "achievement." I guess they think I'm strange as well and I'm not saying there is anything wrong with such an approach but just pointing out that you can usually get a lot more of a hunting experience if you relax on the "objectives" a bit. I guess my attitude is also driven my a severe lack of disposable income, maybe your mate has the cash for a gold sika and a week at stags :-)

    However, it might be worth pointing out to your mate that for the sort of money he might pay for a gold medal sika he could have probably a week at red stags somewhere in the highlands. Sure his stags might all be cull beasts but he'd get to spend a week on the ground getting to know it, and to know the stalkers, and he might get to travel up the loch to his beat in a boat, or extract down the loch in a boat, or extract with a garron, or spend a day in front of the fire with a whisky as bad weather blows through, or sit behind a rock while the first snow shower of the season crosses the hill, or walk off the hill while the sun sets over the Atlantic and the ghillie steers a cull stag down to the track, or... Whatever happens he will have a lot of good stories to tell on his return and I bet each of his cull trophies has a cracking tale associated with it. Whereas with his gold medal sika he might be taken out into a park somewhere, plonked in a high seat, pointed at his sika and that is his hunt over. The latter is fine if you really must have the trophy, but it isn't really the hunt of a lifetime.
    Good man.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    I always find it odd that for some reason those from the US always come here wanting some specific "achievement." I've no idea what is behind this and guess that it is merely a difference in cultures but to me it always seems like they miss out on the "experience" in favour of the "achievement." I guess they think I'm strange as well and I'm not saying there is anything wrong with such an approach but just pointing out that you can usually get a lot more of a hunting experience if you relax on the "objectives" a bit. I guess my attitude is also driven my a severe lack of disposable income, maybe your mate has the cash for a gold sika and a week at stags :-)

    However, it might be worth pointing out to your mate that for the sort of money he might pay for a gold medal sika he could have probably a week at red stags somewhere in the highlands. Sure his stags might all be cull beasts but he'd get to spend a week on the ground getting to know it, and to know the stalkers, and he might get to travel up the loch to his beat in a boat, or extract down the loch in a boat, or extract with a garron, or spend a day in front of the fire with a whisky as bad weather blows through, or sit behind a rock while the first snow shower of the season crosses the hill, or walk off the hill while the sun sets over the Atlantic and the ghillie steers a cull stag down to the track, or... Whatever happens he will have a lot of good stories to tell on his return and I bet each of his cull trophies has a cracking tale associated with it. Whereas with his gold medal sika he might be taken out into a park somewhere, plonked in a high seat, pointed at his sika and that is his hunt over. The latter is fine if you really must have the trophy, but it isn't really the hunt of a lifetime.


    I could not say it any better and I do like a whiskEy myself Irish mind you lol !!!!!!!!!!

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    I always find it odd that for some reason those from the US always come here wanting some specific "achievement." I've no idea what is behind this and guess that it is merely a difference in cultures but to me it always seems like they miss out on the "experience" in favour of the "achievement." I guess they think I'm strange as well and I'm not saying there is anything wrong with such an approach but just pointing out that you can usually get a lot more of a hunting experience if you relax on the "objectives" a bit. I guess my attitude is also driven my a severe lack of disposable income, maybe your mate has the cash for a gold sika and a week at stags :-)
    I have no idea about the fellow wanting to go to the UK for a Gold Sika , but based on my own thoughts rather .

    The Red Stag while certainly a wonderfull animal does not have any special meaning to me . It has never more then casually intrested me . The Sika on the other hand for some strange reason has always been intresting to me and partially as I am sure because we have the formidable feral herd on the Eastern Shore .

    I've stated on this forum before that I would like decent 8 point examples from a number of countries including England , Ireland , Scotland and Northern Ireland . As well as NZ and Japan .

    To be totally honest for me Gold Silver Bronze makes no difference to me as long as it's a decent specimen .

    Traveling all the way to England or Scotland to shoot "cull" animals as you call them and scrubs as I call them doesn't intrest me .

    There's nothing wrong either with a fellow stalking from here to Alaska and back if thats what he likes . My own preference is to be in a high seat as you call it and wait for the preferred animal to wander by .

    You could probably grasp a better idea of the typical Americaqn hunter if you watched some of the outdoor shows on our TV of some American self proclaimed Whitetail specialist shooting some big whitetail with his bow from a tree in Illinois or Ohio or Iowa or Kansas or where ever . Thats not exactly my cup either , but it is a good representation of what the gung ho whitetail hunter in America is all about .

    It still amazes me to listen to what I call Red Neck hunters in the USA who just a couple years ago would look at a deer head and mention how many points they could hang a ring on and now the same one's will be talking about G2's , mass , spread etc etc . And to many of them it's all about who's got the most to brag about or atleast thats the way they come across to me !

    Sure I still hunt whitetails and like to shoot big ones , but I'll shoot a doe in a heartbeat . But when I lay down cold hard CASH and travel many miles I want what I want and not what someone else thinks I should get !
    Last edited by 6pt-sika; 10-02-2013 at 05:50.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    But when I lay down cold hard CASH and travel many miles I want what I want and not what someone else thinks I should get !
    I don't dispute that for a second, nor do I dispute that it is a perfectly reasonable thing to want and that if it is what floats your boat then you should go for it. I was just pointing out to the OP that his mate could have a real highland stalking experience with the chance to get to know the ground, know the stalkers and come back with a lot of tales of adventure to tell rather than just climb up a tree and take a shot at his chosen deer when it walks past. For me one is stalking and the other is visiting Disney World, and I'd be willing to pay NOT to have to visit Disney World. I believe there is very strong evidence that a lot of people are keen on Disney World.

    The money you'll pay for your 8 point sika stags would probably get you 2 or 3 weeks in the highlands so it is worth at least considering the sort of experiences that money might get you. You, and your family and friends, could spend a while here for example:

    Eishken Lodge, Isle of Lewis, Outer Hebrides

    or here:

    Morsgail Estate - Grouse Snip Woodcock Stalking Aline Estate Accommodation

    or here:

    Uig Hamanavay Lewis salmon seatrout fishing shooting stalking

    No sika on any of those but some highland estates may be able to offer you sika stalking as well as reds, so you might get one 8 pointer for your efforts. Well worth at least thinking about as an alternative, though as you say a totally different adventure to gathering up 8 point stags but one that the OP might be interested in for his mate.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/




  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by dlz90 View Post
    I could not say it any better and I do like a whiskEy myself Irish mind you lol !!!!!!!!!!
    But if the lucky man was sitting in front of the fire in the lodge somewhere in Scotland watching the white caps trot up the loch and listening to the rain batter the window I'd bet there would be no E in his whisky :-)
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/




Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-06-2012, 21:12
  2. Trophy or no trophy???
    By 270Buck in forum Taxidermy & Trophy Preparation
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 30-12-2011, 22:35
  3. My kind of Sika Trophy
    By Lakey in forum Photos
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 29-03-2011, 08:13
  4. sika trophy head ?
    By bartman in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 22-02-2011, 22:11
  5. Red or Sika trophy???
    By Pete E in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 15-10-2008, 19:56

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •