Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speer bullets

Speer bullets

Opinions please on Speer bullets. I am looking at 150 grn Soft Points in 270.
    Thanks, Tusker

Good basic bullet nothing wrong with them, used them for years. I alwaysprefered the 150 grain to 130 grain in spite of the supposed ballistic advantage of the 130 grain bullet. Just personal choice I suppose and I found them more accurate in my rifle.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I've used Speer hot cores for years in 4 calibers ( .358 250 gr, .308 200 gr, .303 150 gr and .458 400 gr ) they all perfomed well for me as long as I didn't push them to fast. I've also used their Grand Slams in 270 - 150 gr, 7 mm - 160 gr and 308 - 180 gr, all in calibers that exceeded 2700 fps. The GS held together well even on big, heavy boned animals ( moose, elk and large black bears ) they maybe a little to stoutly built for lighter game though.

I wouldnt hesitate to use the standard Speer bullets on any deer around here. I've never shot the species you hunt there but, assuming they shoot well in your rifle , I.m sure they would work just fine.

Good hunting AB

Wonderful bullets, I have shot hundreds of deer with them, mainly Reds and Roe.
    HWH.

I have a box of Federal 7mm08 with 150gr Speers which were the most expensive box of ammunition in the world. I have yet to try them but they had better be amazing. I want to see deer drop on the spot at 800m before the bullet's even hit them, with zero meat damage. Round the back of a boulder. In the dark.

I think my Speer bullets may have golden cores or something though. I can't think why they cost over 3 otherwise.

SD Regular
    Norman Clarke has a quantity of the Speer 150 grain boat tail soft point at a reduced price.

The Hot Cor with the flat base is now discontinued in 270 WCF and 150 grain weight.

FWIW i don't find them quite as accurate as Hornady's 150 grain flat base in 270. But prefer the Speer as they have no cannelure. If I want a cannelure I'll put it on myself with my CH Cannelure Tool.

Another dreamer !
    Consider them an investment at 3 each.
    With deer currently fetching about 2.65 per kilo it is a small price to pay for an efficient item.

HWH.

Quote Originally Posted by stag1933 View Post
    Another dreamer !
    Consider them an investment at 3 each.
    With deer currently fetching about 2.65 per kilo it is a small price to pay for an efficient item.

HWH.
    It's OK, I don't expect anything particularly out of the ordinary from them. The part where I am letting my imagination run wild though is that I keep hoping that my rifle will be delivered before I go stalking on the 16th. Which is looking pretty dicey. 50-50 at best. Because without that, my Speers of Burning Gold will be about as much use as arrows of desire.

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    It's OK, I don't expect anything particularly out of the ordinary from them. The part where I am letting my imagination run wild though is that I keep hoping that my rifle will be delivered before I go stalking on the 16th. Which is looking pretty dicey. 50-50 at best. Because without that, my Speers of Burning Gold will be about as much use as arrows of desire.
    Well I hope the next few days work out for you as you will need to tune-in your new piece.
    Our game dealers do not complain of excess meat damage with them which is good news.

HWH.

Quote Originally Posted by stag1933 View Post
    Well I hope the next few days work out for you as you will need to tune-in your new piece.
    Our game dealers do not complain of excess meat damage with them which is good news.

HWH.
    I will indeed need to do that, especially since in addition to being my new piece, it will be my first and only piece. That said, I can use an estate rifle. I'd just rather shoot my first deer with my first rifle. It makes for a better story!