boots

tolley

what everyone using ,i think its time for a new pair.ive been looking out for the danners to come into tk max again.

or can anyone reconmend others.

Whatever you do, do not buy Mouflons would be my best advice. Off to the game fair at the weekend and hoping to come back with either Lowas or Meindls. My mouflons were leaking after 3 months and they would not cover them on their supposed 1 year guarantee. After a year literally every part of them has been broken from leather and rubber parting, soles cracking in half to holes you can put 3 fingers into in the leather. Not even the laces lasted out the year, all these breakages were on both boots but their get out from the guarantee was that they are a leisure boot and by wearing them every day I had invalidated the guarantee as every day wear is for work boots. And they squeak which drives me up the wall when I'm stalking. Rant over!

Tolley

I have five pairs of boots that I use for stalking - before anyone says it, yes, it makes me sound a bit like the Imelda Marcos of the deer world ;) :

Browning Kangaroo leather boots - relatively new acquisition, light as a feather, gore-tex lined, uninsulated. Probably the lightest and most comfortable boot I've worn, bar none. If I really had to limit myself to one pair, it would be these.

Danner Leather/Cordura - Similar to the current Danner Pronghorn. I bought these boots when I lived in the US back in 89-90 and have used them almost to destruction on the Hill and elsewhere. Great boots - if you can find a pair in TK Maxx, buy them.

Meindl Burma Pro - Bought a second-hand, non Gore-Tex lined, pair on eBay for next to nothing for use when walking (rather than stalking) in Arran. Nice boots, but in retrospect I could have done without them and used the above. Built like the proverbial brick outhouse and reputedly one of the best walking boots out there.

Lundhags Professional - Bought from Penrith Survival (http://www.penrithsurvival.com/penrith_survival/55/default/mt/e/kw/lundhags for when it's really wet. Lundhags are a completely different construction to any other boot, but in inclement weather they are the dog's whatsits.

Cabela's camo sneaker - like the old Bata basketball/baseball boot, but in camo. I bought two pairs last time I went to Cabela's. For woodland stalking during the summer they are ideal, as they are like plimsoles - light and you can feel every twig through the sole. If it's wet then I put a pair of MOD gore-tex socks between the inner and outer socks.

Hope this helps

willie_gunn

I have Chirucas and they are terrible. They squeak that you can hear me stalking miles away. :eek:

I currently use Meindl Makalu and Meindl Glockner, both of them are brillant boots especially the Makalu, your feet will be bone dry and they give great support to your ankle and are very comfortable boots.

Had a pair of Le Chameau Aubrac boots for about 5 years, a good boot but not in the same league as the the Meindls, I would highly recomend the Meindl range of boots.

i use muflon plus and you can all boo and hiss as much as you want they have been spot on and there coming up to a year old i dont know why everyone slags them off so much

I use lundhags high leg boot had them for 8 years great boots still keep me feet dry, takes a while to brake them in thow and a pair of meindl himalayers use them most days very comfortable and dry would say try them both theres loads to choose from and how much you want to spend.
Cheers lyon

I use meindl dovre extremes - i spent ages humming and ha-ing over which boots to buy (there is probably even a similar thread on here started by me) but I'm really glad i chose them.

Ok I don't get out in them nearly half as mush as some folk, but I can't fault them at all. (well ok then occasionally squeek a teeny bit, but a dab of vaseline stops that).

Gez

Picture1239.jpg

Ive not found anything to equal these Matterhorn's ,the first pair i bought lasted me 18 years and three new soles good value .[/img]

I've a pair of Danners, they are approx 18 years old - they were my fathers, which he bought new at a game fair yonks back - wore a few times and then put in the cupboard and never wore again (too heavy he said) - i've been using them for 3 years now and they are as good as new.

I'll keep my eye out if TK Max have them in!

Tom

Picture1026.jpg

Picture1022.jpg

Tommo these are the danner boots that tk max have been selling not the best danner boots i bought two pairs and gave both of them away very cheap made

Being in a regiment that very rarely got to parachute in, usually 'TAB'd' everywhere and had to carry everything on our back - boots were probably the most important piece of kit and always a major discussion point to those new-in.

Inevitably most bought the Gucci brands such as Danners and inevitably they fell apart in a few months. I've no doubt they are light in weight and will last if used only a few times per month, but ask those who have worn them in all environments and whilst carrying heavy loads how good they are.

Lundhags are robust, give good support and are good for load carrying, however most folks eventually realised that the old's were wearing Altberg's. Altberg's are without a doubt the best boot you can buy - they come practically broken in, fit the feet great and are extrememly hard wearing. Altberg's don't wear out - you simply send themm back to be re-soled. My boots have been with me years and have been re-soled 3 times, the leather is soft and subtle and they are like wearing slippers.

During Gulf II our regiment and others put in so many orders with Altberg that the waiting times for delivery went out to about a year! They used to sell direct from their factory but i think they now have a partnership outlet. Check them out at www.altberg.co.uk

I think my boots were called mountain desert & field and fell.

widows son said:
Picture1026.jpg

Picture1022.jpg

Tommo these are the danner boots that tk max have been selling not the best danner boots i bought two pairs and gave both of them away very cheap made

i might for get agoing to TK MAXX ,if thats the case.

I have read this thread with interest because I was looking for a new pair of boots , yesterday I went to my local shooting shop and purchased a pair of Meindl dovre gtx they look like good boots but time will tell.
The shop said he had only just started stocking them because the forestry commision lads had been asking for them.
I paid £200 for them don't know if that is a good price or not !!
Karl

Hi just to add to the rest of the collection i, i use Brasher Hillmaster, i can't fault them great all round boot 100% waterproof breath able etc. They are about £115 in most good shops, try barttering with them they normally throw a pair of socks in, alls help. Good luck.

I'm on my second pair of Miendel's. Just put my first pair into semi retirment for a pair of miendel Dovre extreme's. Still use my old pair for sneeking around the wood's keep the dovre's for the worst the highlands can throw at them.

I've got really wide feet, and couldn't find much to fit me...

A lot of people rave about the Altbergs, and rightly so for their quality - they even make various width fittings, which I thought would be perfect.

I went into their factory store (I drive pretty much past it on the way home from the range) and despite being 'fitted for their boots' they didn't have anything wide enough for me - the gamekeeper boots they don't make in as wide a fit as the others due to the rubber round the outside apparently.

In the end as I mentioned earlier, i opted for the Meindl dovre extremes and they have been amazingly comfortable right out of the box.

Gez

Back