Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DSC1 Teachers how much experience

DSC1 Teachers how much experience

After reading many funny comments and micky taking about the DSC qualification. I was wondering how much experience would you expect the person teaching the course to have. Practical as well as class room based .And would you ask this when booking a course. And who monitor's this.

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Are they teachers or instructors?I am not a teacher, but I am an instructor in some things, for my training to become an instructor, I follow a system, I do not do more than is in the book, not more than is expected. It's a system that we (The Armed Forces) have used for years, it ensures everyone who is an instructor in the subject can come in and take over. So Joe Bloggs takes the lesson to Lesson Number 3, Sam Smith can come in and take over the lesson knowing that where he will start lesson 4 from is where Joe Bloggs left lesson 3, there will be no difference in methods of instruction as we are all trained to do it in a certain way. From experience, you do not need to know a subject to instruct it, but you need to know the subject to teach it....That's my opinion anyway....
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

You are quite right tartinjock I should have used the word instructor and not teacher. But in your write up you say for my training to become a instructor. So dose this mean you should be trained to become a DSC instructor or is there a minimum standard to become this.

My course was run by David Stretton of Donington Deer Management. There may be lots of people around who know as much as him, but I doubt there are many who know more.

One day I want to be as wonderful as my dogs think i am .....

Quote Originally Posted by neil_r View Post
    My course was run by David Stretton of Donington Deer Management. There may be lots of people around who know as much as him, but I doubt there are many who know more.
    Neil you are very true there. I bealeave he wrote a lot of the original question bank. His equipment and DVDs are very good.

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crouch valley View Post
    But in your write up you say for my training to become a instructor. So dose this mean you should be trained to become a DSC instructor or is there a minimum standard to become this.
    As I don't know what the DSC Instrustors have done in a previous life, I can't answer that, but I'm sure they will have had to do lesson plans, give lessons to the interview panel,and those Instructors will, on an annual basis be validated by an outside agency to ensure that there "Methods of Instruction" are competent. TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

Education in any field is absorbing and imparting knowledge. Many can absorb but to impart is a true gift. There are many who say they have been out with so and so and learned so much. That is why tutor recommendation is so important. The tutor may not be the best qualified but what he has, he has the ability to pass on. I have sat in on lectures where the teacher has been dull as dishwater and left wondering what hey were talking about. Jim

Tartanjock, I agree with everything you say with reference to the Instructors and also in an ideal world it would be good if they did take a page out of the military system. However as both you and I know this does not happen all the time. On my DSC 1 course it was fairly plain to see that on a few of the lessons it was very obvious that the instructors had not prepared the said lesson and also that he had not even taken the time the evening before to go through the viewpoint presentation so that he could at least try to look a bit prepared, Indeed he stated after 20 minutes on one of them once he had went to pot that the lesson was usually given buy ****** ****** and that he was standing in.

So my point is that knowledge of the subject both thoery and practical is great and of course desirable, but prior preperation is paramount.

I am about to go on a course as an introduction to obtaining my AAPGAI qualification to teach flycasting for salmon and trout. I had a call from one of the course leaders who put it to me quite well. He said that you could be the best caster in the world but that does not mean you will be any good at teaching it...

I think that is a fair comment.

Interesting question, considering the affiliation of the poster asking it!