Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 20Bore: Recommendations: PRO / CONs

20Bore: Recommendations: PRO / CONs

Looking to get a 20bore;

Mainly interested in Miruko Mk 60 - 70 Grade 5/6 : Price fits and quality is great ?
    Multichoke or not - not sure thats important ? and whether to retro to Teauge chokes

What are your experiences and suggestions ?

If you are a dealer and its in the rules for you to make me an 'offer it can't resist' then PM me ! New only - Cash:

TOMSK

Great gun i tried one this season on a couple of pegs like you say decent quality for a mid priced modern gun, im looking at going down the 20 bore route myself this coming season.
    I found the comb a tad low for me, and the top barrel if i can remember was 3/4 a bit bit brutal in the tighter patterning 20g for use on our lowland hedge hopping ditch chickens.

20 bores are very popular
    i own a silver pigeon in 20 bore also one in 28 bore both bought for tuition and pleasure
    I HAd a spare stock cut down and it fits both gun which is a real bonus

getting back to the 20 they are a pleasure to carry around
    you can stuff your pockets full of shells and have plenty walked up
    good variety of shells from a lightweight trainer cartridge to heavy game shells

the mirokus you mention seem to have a lower sight picture compared to the berettas
    but the miroku is a very well made gun and will last you years as is the beretta
    i have shot game this year with 1/4 and 1/2 choke which ive found ample .
    if your looking to buy i would get over to greenfields of salisbury near you
    they have loads of twentys ask to look at say six or seven untill you see the sight picture
    you feel thats right hope this helps
    any advice just ask or pm me regards pete

I have shot with nothing but a 20b for about 15 years now. Including clays, birds and ground game. Personally, unless all I was shooting was clays I would never go back to a 12. They are a joy to carry around if walking a lot and come up really quickly for those sudden unexpected shots.

I have always had Berettas and sold one recently because it was not getting used much due to the stalking. Now I am regretting it a wee bit.

I won a Pool shoot at a local clay club with a fixed choke (1/4 & 1/2) 20b one New Year shoot and the guys I was up against could not believe the distance out some of the springing teal were getting smashed at. IMO it is as capable of killing high pheasants as any 12 as well., if you use the right shells and over the last 3 seasons left the 1/4 and Imp Cyl in it for everything.

The best I have come across for the 20b are without a doubt RC Sipes. No6 shot in ounce loads and fibre wad. They do not kick hard but the way they seem to drop pheasants is first class.

Cannot comment on the Miroku I am afraid but if you want a recomendation for a shell I would be giving the RC's a go.

Have you looked at the Berettas at all? I have used both Browning and Beretta shotguns and there is a difference in the way they handle, feel, fit and line up the eye to the rib. May be worth handling them both to see if one suits better than the other...

Just seen Roedinators post being typed at the same time and he seems to think the same!

Have you looked at the equivalent Browning. Mechanically the same but the stocks seem to be a slightly different shape. I know you said the fit was good but if it is better what's not to like? Have put thousands of rounds through a 525 without a hitch. Who knows might hit something soon!

David.

New Post: some good comments.
    Roedinator +1: thanks:
    Been to Greenfields and have been offered and will take up opportunity to trial 2o's

Regards Cartridges: keen on RC4's as they do a clay load and game. so comparible

QUESTION: Multichoke or not ?

TOMSK

I switched to 20b about 15yrs ago and would never go back to12g (apart from geese etc), I shoot a Macnab 30" using either Gambore Pure Gold or Hull Cartridge "High Pheasant Extreme" 30gram loads, shot a driven day in November and the guns asked be what loads I was using to pull down the high birds, they were gobsmacked when I told them it was a 20b
    www.monarchcountryproducts.co.uk for quality stalking & shooting accessories

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    I have shot with nothing but a 20b for about 15 years now. Including clays, birds and ground game. Personally, unless all I was shooting was clays I would never go back to a 12. They are a joy to carry around if walking a lot and come up really quickly for those sudden unexpected shots.

I have always had Berettas and sold one recently because it was not getting used much due to the stalking. Now I am regretting it a wee bit.

I won a Pool shoot at a local clay club with a fixed choke (1/4 & 1/2) 20b one New Year shoot and the guys I was up against could not believe the distance out some of the springing teal were getting smashed at. IMO it is as capable of killing high pheasants as any 12 as well., if you use the right shells and over the last 3 seasons left the 1/4 and Imp Cyl in it for everything.

The best I have come across for the 20b are without a doubt RC Sipes. No6 shot in ounce loads and fibre wad. They do not kick hard but the way they seem to drop pheasants is first class.

Cannot comment on the Miroku I am afraid but if you want a recomendation for a shell I would be giving the RC's a go.

Have you looked at the Berettas at all? I have used both Browning and Beretta shotguns and there is a difference in the way they handle, feel, fit and line up the eye to the rib. May be worth handling them both to see if one suits better than the other...

Yes I've seen Jamross shoot with his 20bore and he was dropping nice high pheasants , but then I taught him everything he knows , apart from how to return phone calls.

Thinking of swapping over to a 20b myself for next season.

Nelson

I shot a 20 bore for years, great gun, very fast to the shoulder . . I have a 12 bore now but would go back to the 20 in a flash.