Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: dsc 1

dsc 1

Hi all need to pick your brains, i have some new ground with fallow deer on, i would say a herd of about 20 but i have seen more deer pass through from the joining woodland which is off my ground, the farmer has said i can take a few for the pot infact he said kill them all lol! Not what i'm going to do! i just want to take one or two a year to keep him happy and to keep a good herd for me for years to come, i was thinking of doing my dsc1 but have been told by a few that i don't need it and its a waist of money if your not going to sell the meat?? there words not mine, can anyone tell me how many people in the uk have there dsc1 and do i really need it ? the deer i take will be for me and not go to the butchers, any help would be great cheers joneah

Oh my, not another DSC thread.....

Yes I think that level1 is worth doing but what do I know, some people do think it is a con but it seems to be a requirement for increasing amounts of things and it gives you the basic knowledge so you can follow "best practice".

Quote Originally Posted by joneah243 View Post
    Hi all need to pick your brains, i have some new ground with fallow deer on, i would say a herd of about 20 but i have seen more deer pass through from the joining woodland which is off my ground, the farmer has said i can take a few for the pot infact he said kill them all lol! Not what i'm going to do! i just want to take one or two a year to keep him happy and to keep a good herd for me for years to come, i was thinking of doing my dsc1 but have been told by a few that i don't need it and its a waist of money if your not going to sell the meat?? there words not mine, can anyone tell me how many people in the uk have there dsc1 and do i really need it ? the deer i take will be for me and not go to the butchers, any help would be great cheers joneah
    The best reason to do the DSC1 IMHO is to broaden and enrich you knowledge of deer, excellent for the novice and probably not a lot of use to the seasoned professional. Yes you will become EU large game qualified and it may increase your opportunities elsewhere. I feel that I benefited hugely from doing it but that is purely personal to my own "recreational stalker" circumstances. atb Tim

Hi joneah243 I would recommend you get it as its a great course and well worth the time and effort. its going to be a minimum qualification shortly. Cheers Jimbo
    Just Shoot The F..king Thing!

Quote Originally Posted by timbrayford View Post
    The best reason to do the DSC1 IMHO is to broaden and enrich you knowledge of deer, excellent for the novice and probably not a lot of use to the seasoned professional. Yes you will become EU large game qualified and it may increase your opportunities elsewhere. I feel that I benefited hugely from doing it but that is purely personal to my own "recreational stalker" circumstances. atb Tim
    +1
    BARONY TRAINED NINJA

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Joneah

18,162 people have completed their DSC1: DMQ Setting the standard for wild deer management

If your interest in deer goes beyond just shooting them, do the DSC1. If you do the DSC1 I am sure that you will (a) learn something, (b) meet some interesting people, (c) have a sense of achievement.

Your choice.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Quote Originally Posted by Hootsman View Post
    its going to be a minimum qualification shortly.
    People keep saying this but there's no solid evidence for this statement...

That said, I did DSC1 as I wanted to start out in stalking and didn't have anyone else to show me the ropes. I'd read plenty of books and websites, which was all good and useful, but actually speaking to someone knowledgeable and having practical experience of gralloching and shooting scoped rifles, as well as the safety aspects, really broadened and tightened up my understanding. It certainly helped with my FAC application too. So in short, if you're relatively new to this, you'll learn lots of useful things, and it will smooth your path somewhat. It's not a requirement, but it does make like easier.

thank you all for the advice i will take it on board and yes i think i will take the dsc1 thanks again

Personally if the ground didn't require it I wouldn't but it's up to you I guess it depends on your experience level as to how much you will get from it

I have just sent my cheque off for a Shropshire based course - run by the British Deer Society - being held in early June over three days
    Not too far to go if you are interested and (last Friday) they still had places left on the course
    May see you there?
    Ed
    Shrewsbury