Basswood Sporting Agency

EMcC

Is there anybody on this site going to Croatia this season with Frank Ille.
I have booked a couple of trips with him and booked and paid for parking at Heathrow.
If there is anybody from 'darn sarf' the West Country in particular, would like a lift, get in touch.

I take it nobody is going with Basswood this year.
I put a similar request on the year before last and got no response but ended up meeting folk that I passed on the way to the airport that I could have picked up coming through.
Last year a group of four from the West country drove to my place, we then re-grouped, parked their car at my place and we all travelled up to Luton together from here.

EMcC

When are you going with Frank ?
I am going over there on the 19th Nov .
I am traveling south from cumbria if any one else is intrested in a car share for the journey ?

Bob

Hi Bob,
I'm going over on the 12th November and 3rd December,
Looks as if you're going on the second trip.
It will be running smoothly by then as we will have ironed out any problems :lol:
I'll miss you this year but maybe catch up with you next year.
I'm going again 3rd January in the new year, same place, I love it.

Hi EMcc

How did the pig hunting go ?
And did you get any yourself ? I hope the weather was good and that there plenty of pigs to go round and that you left some for me to have a go at .
I heard that Frank was a bit the worse for where on Sunday night when my mate spoke to him on the phone ,how is the old git doing this year ?

We are with frank this Thursday and i am all loaded up and ready to go already
I can hardly sleep with the excitement.

Bob. :lol:

Hi Bob,
Just got back, knackered :cry:
The weather was very mild with a cold wind if stood in the wrong place but no rain or ice so quite good for us.
Due to the mild weather the pigs were wandering further from the feed stations making it more difficult for the beaters to get them where we wanted them.
There are plenty of them about but it was a long wait to get them to the guns, on one of the drives the beaters started from eight K's away!!
A mate of mine that had not been before shot three, two good uns and a piglet!!
You'll notice I haven't mentioned how I got on :cry: it was not my turn this time :( but am going again in December so it may be my turn then :D
Good luck with your trip, regardless of what you shoot it is always a good turnout overall. When the bangs start kicking off at the other side of the forest or just down the line, the adrenalin starts to pump :)

Hi Guys,
Just about calmed down and a bit more composed after getting back from my second trip with Basswood, I went 3rd to 7th December.
I am absolutely down in the dumps :(
The first trip I encouraged two friends to go and we saw much less than a dozen pigs and only six were shot.
We were given £160 rebate :eek:
The second trip, again far less than a dozen were seen and only seven were shot including two by the beaters.
Again I encouraged another friend to go and he didn't even see a live pig.
This time we were only given £100 rebate :(
I am rapidly losing friends and even with the rebate am rapidly running out of funds :cry:
I haven't given up on Croatia entirely, I am going again in January but am not taking any friends this time ;)
If that trip doesn't produce a few pigs then I'm afraid Croatia will be off my travel Itinery next season for a while.
So far I have had a good run in Poland until it got a bit expensive.
I've had my fair share of Germany.
The Czech Republic with Shooting Enterprise, didn't see a pig nor sign of any, no rebate :( and now Croatia seems to be going down hill.
It is impossible for these Forests to 'be shot out' due to their size so I can only put it down to the organising ability of the people the Agents use and how hard they push them for quality shooting/value for money.
Can anybody recommend any Agents that organise driven Boar shoots without trophy fees on top or added 'Extras'
I know all about 'Wild animals, not fenced, no guarantees etc etc but I want some Driven where the odds are not stacked 99.9% against me or the rest of the team.
I am not particularly upset about me as an individual not shooting/seeing any pigs so long as the rest of the team get a fair share and that hasn't happened for the last two trips.
Spleen now vented, so signing off :)

EMcc.
sorry to hear about your trips with Frank but that what happens when you go after truly wild game some times you get lucky some times you don't ! . On the last 2 trips i took to Croatia i only saw 1 pig and could not get a shot of at it .This year i killed 2 of around 100kg and missed 1 and could not shoot at another . We shot the week after your group and Our group shot 20 and a lot more were seen but not shot at or were missed due to lack of experience or range.

Beter luck next time.
Bob.

Hi Bob,
I understand that is what happens with wild animals but normally the odds are in our favour to a degree because we are many and spread out over a long line.
And the local guys should know roughly where they hang out.
I know that can change overnight but the signs should give them an idea of where they are or where they go when disturbed.
The last four trips have been an absolute disappointment so am going to have a look elsewhere for next season.
I must stress that when I say disappointment, I don't mean just for me, I mean for the whole group.
There have been times when we have ended up with only a few pigs on the ground at the end of the day but the sightings and shooting has been terrific.
January will tell whether I visit Croatia again in the near future.
Eddy McC

Sorry to hear of your dissapointment,a few mates and i went with Frank last nov,it was enjoyable, but we all thought by only having 2 or 3 drives a day did'nt give you much chance of being in the Hot seat, where as in Poland the previous year we where getting in up to 10 drives a day which obviously gives a greater chance of being in a good bit,i know that is a national thing and the way it is.
Whilst in Croatia one afternoon we had to wait for a wounded pig to come in that the beaters had caught up with, frank wanted to see the pig to make sure they did have the pig,this led us to believe that he pays per animal shot,if this where the case on the fixed price basis it would'nt be in his intrest to kill to many.
wether right or wrong the beaters on the last day did'nt seem to be trying to hard :(
Poland for us next year :)
Nell

Hi Nell,
I have made enquiries with Bob Kwisiuk of Hunting Poland, he is going to give me details as and when he gets his trips organised.
Where and with whom do you intend to go to Poland with next year or is it a bit early yet !!
Eddy McC

The last time I made enquiries of F&F there were 'Trophy Fees' involved on top of their Trip price.
I'ver just looked at their site and special offers start at 1850 Euros.
Basswood price all in without trophy fees regardless of size of Boar shot is 1595 Euros and that has only just gone up from 1500 Euros because of the exchange rate.
There has been times when Gold and Silver Boar have been shot with Basswood and that is where you get your real monies worth.
Last year a guy went that had never been before or shot much at all anywhwere and borrowed a shotgun while he was there.
He shot two very big Boar on the last drive of the last day, one was a Boar and the tusks came out measured as Gold.
This year one was shot and that looks very much like another Gold but definitely a Silver anyway.

Boar

EMcC,

Sorry to hear of your bad luck with the wild boar hunting trips and I would particlarly like to hear of your experiences of Germany. I am off to Germany for my annual boar hunting trip in the last week of January for the January moon. I much prefer hunting them under the moon from a high seat rather than driven, though one year I shot five boar on one stand and became the Jadt Konig. However, I was a guest then on special shoot near Lubeck in East Germany.

I have been going to Germany for 15 years to a friends place on the banks of the Mozel about 30Km from Koblenz. We met via a Shooting Times advert placed by his daughter that requested an exchange of a hunting experience in the UK for a boar shooting experience in the Mozel. I responded. As I said that was 15 years ago and since then my German friend comes to Scotland as my guest where we stalk roe on my shoot and fish for Salmon on the Dee and Don. He has also accompanied me for Stags on the west coast of Scotland. Three years ago he shot a Gold Medal buck on my shoot and as you can expect, he was over the moon. Two years ago I shot my first Mufflon on his shoot. I am his guest in Germany.

I have to say I am lucky but perhaps you or any other SD member could make contact with a like minded fellow on the continent.

We have been great family friends now for so long.

I will let you know how I get on in January

Donsider

Sounds quite expensive then Eddy!
Patrick Aschan on here has been , might be worth asking him ( saw his photo on the website).

Can anyone from here organise anything? People with lots of contacts abroad ?

Sam,
That's one of the things you have to watch for.
The initial price might be a bit more with 'so many' pigs included so you think, yes that's good value.
Then you reach the 'so many' very quickly due to a sow and all her followers being first out.
Then the older, bigger and wiser pigs come out and you are then hit with the extras because you don't want to miss a chance of a lifetime.
There are ups as well as downs to this system too.
You may be lucky and get a very large one among the first pigs out so you are happy or you may be happy just shooting pigs regardless of size.
There is so much to think about, that is why I have always enjoyed Basswood and a few other Agents that work on an all inclusive but it is just that I have had it so good for so long I am now seeing/meeting the down side!!
Yes I did recognise Patrick A on the F&F site, he is still wearing the same hat :)

Back