Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Off road driving coarses

Off road driving coarses

Maybe is simjim could organise such a coarse,at least it would be a real coarse instead of the usual junk going around in his brain cell .obviously you need dsc 1&2 and its to be b.a.s.c and b.d.s approved to participate.lol

I know your post is in jest, but there is a lot most of us could learn. We all think we are great drivers, but I'm not convinced.

Sort of ties in with the 'get stuck' thread - people not knowing what their car is capable of. People sitting there bogged revving hell out of the engine. Just don't have a clue...................

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

I've had 30 years of experience driving plant,dumpers and excavators and they all have there limits,these people that peruse the off roading hobby are seriously geared up to participate and spend a lot of money on it,most of us put full MUDs on and think they will go anywhere which in a lot of cases they can with extra ground clearence but they will not cross boggy ground once axled up.

offroad driving in mud and slop is as much about learning the ground conditions as it is machine control mud tyres and locking diffs only mean when you get stuck you are in further and deeper therefore are harder to get out and most farmers would be less than appreciative of your efforts lol . offroad driving courses are normally geared up to teach you haw to drive safely in what are driveable situations than to identify what are not .
    a barony original

I would say it is very much to do with the driver. I got stuck last night, before I got stuck however I had came through much wetter boggier bits (fully focused) but it was when I wasn't concentrating and thinking I was home and dry that was when I ended up getting stuck.

I definitely plan on going on an off roading course when I get the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by swarovski View Post
    Maybe is simjim could organise such a coarse
    When it comes to doing the level 2 can you get signed off if you only sit in a high seat? I mean, sitting in a high seat isn't off road driving in my view and I'd not be signing anyone off, nor is driving on a farm track. You have to be at least 43.57m from the nearest track before I'd sign anyone off for off road driving.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

I did an of road course many years ago in scotland ,Boat of garton if my memory serves me correct, excellent. the guy had us driving 4x4s were only goats go . He also had a little 4x4 made from an old 1500 simca that in hes hands could climb bloody trees. Great weekend .leart a lot but still get stuck now & then ,the winch is a great saver.

Quote Originally Posted by highseat6.5 View Post
    I did an of road course many years ago in scotland ,Boat of garton if my memory serves me correct, excellent. the guy had us driving 4x4s were only goats go . He also had a little 4x4 made from an old 1500 simca that in hes hands could climb bloody trees. Great weekend .leart a lot but still get stuck now & then ,the winch is a great saver.
    Was it a Haflinger? mid engined affair very rare but were the best for extraction off road.
    Too Old Soon Too Late Smart

No was just a variaty of landies he had dotted about on various plots of land , so u got to have a go on different types of terrain ,at one point we had to wheels in a stream two on the bank how it never rolled i dont know .good laugh

A few off road points that are IMO the main reasons for getting people into trouble off road are
    1) not knowing your ground or what to look out for. eg some plants grow on extremely bogy ground - avoid and drive around them. If still unsure get out and walk it first.
    2) don't pussy foot around going into an obstacle too slow will get you stuck, give it some gas and the momentum will often get you through
    3) when going down steep incline as unnatural as it seems keep your feet off the pedals. Touching the brake will turn your vehicle into a bob sleigh.
    There are vehicle issues as well and I'd like to say practice makes perfect but any serious off roader will get stuck from time to time.
    Wingy