Blind Doe.

I heard all about her yesterday, from the man who shot her, well done,

John

Question for the vets and highly experienced stalkers on the site.

I used to have treat the odd cow every year for New Forest Eye, could this or a similar condition be responsible for the blindness in both of these Roe. If not what is the most likely cause?.

I have seen deer with eye damage before, usually through direct damage to the eye, but not with cataracs or clouding.

Ade

It probably is traumatic in origin, a nice whippy bramble slicing across the face. The cause of New Forest eye hasn't been isolated from deer eyes, based on the searches I just done, although there is some evidence for Chlamydia (Spanish red deer).
In this photo it looks like the eye is struggling to heal - the small craters are erosions and there don't appear to be any blood vessels indicating healing.

It probably is traumatic in origin, a nice whippy bramble slicing across the face. The cause of New Forest eye hasn't been isolated from deer eyes, based on the searches I just done, although there is some evidence for Chlamydia (Spanish red deer).
In this photo it looks like the eye is struggling to heal - the small craters are erosions and there don't appear to be any blood vessels indicating healing.

Buchan,

Just zoomed in on the photo and as you said there are craters on it. There looks to be one larger in the bottom left quadrant of the eye.

That's interesting 270 and Buchan thank you.
I have come across two deer in the last 10 years that I thought had New Forest. Andrea has sheep and we have to treat it every now and again.
On both deer there didn't seem to be an damage but the normal swelling of the white eye, almost dome shaped expanding from the pupil.
I just presumed it was New Forest.

Thanks to all for the info.

Back