Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sauer 202 - Stock Problem ?

Sauer 202 - Stock Problem ?

Anyone any experiance or know of problems with the removal and re-fitting of the stock on the 202? Bought a 2nd hand Sauer take down case off here, to utlise the same the stock must be removed from the action.This of course done by the self same Long alum key that's used on the forend. I should add i've only removed the stock twice at most. To switch barrels this of course doesnt need to be removed, but it does to fit in the takedown case. My problem is that there is no "Noticeble" bite either way, un-doing or re-placing the stock. The best description I can describle is as if its "Stripping" the thread, my mate suggest the screw could have split, but its buried in the stock and no way as I can see to view it. I've no doubt a gunsmith could remove the recoil pad and gain excess. The stock will lock back up,but only just!! its not giving me any great confidence. I'm off to Africa in April, this rifles details already submitted for my invitation, in anycase I would wish to take it as i'm now well used to it. The rifle will be going to a local gunsmith, not sure whom as yet but shortly for sure. I've heard of issues with the orginal aluminum mounts, but not as yet heard any issues with breaking down the rifle. Just a shot in the dark, maybe someone else on here has had a similar experiance, hopefully someone can shed some light on this? Never nice knowing your only full bore rifle's now out of service, I'm sure it will in due course be put right, but interested to here anyones similar experiance. Off Stalking Scotland in two weeks so I need to get my arse in gear and get it sorted. The biggest fear is a unique part, and just how readily available that maybe. Thanks in advance !
    Last edited by greenhillstairs; 09-02-2013 at 17:07.

When you take the stock off, there will be an exposed female thread in the back of the action. This will show you if the thread is stripped!

the rubber but plate comes off the stock, two screws, one top one bottom, behind slits in the rubber, then it exposes a channel within which is the bolt

Quote Originally Posted by rarms View Post
    When you take the stock off, there will be an exposed female thread in the back of the action. This will show you if the thread is stripped!

the rubber but plate comes off the stock, two screws, one top one bottom, behind slits in the rubber, then it exposes a channel within which is the bolt
    Cheers Rarm, defo worth knowing bout the rubber coming off the stock. The screw's looks ok at that end, its inside the stock, the head i think may lie the problem. If i cant get a local Gunsmith to "Service" it within a resonable period, I will have a go myself !! That will be the excuse to buy a new rifle, I've got hands as subtle as a pit miners boot!!
    Last edited by greenhillstairs; 09-02-2013 at 17:40.

Take the rubber butt pad off, and you will probably be able to see the hex head of the action screw inside it.

I am not totally familiar with the 202 but if the stockscrew threads in an the alloy action I would start by looking at the threads there. If they are stripped it is not the end of the world I would “Helicoil it”, this puts a steel thread into the alloy action. The end job will be superior to the action as it left the factory. I hope I understand the problem properly.

ATB

Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Thar View Post
    I am not totally familiar with the 202 but if the stockscrew threads in an the alloy action I would start by looking at the threads there. If they are stripped it is not the end of the world I would “Helicoil it”, this puts a steel thread into the alloy action. The end job will be superior to the action as it left the factory. I hope I understand the problem properly.

ATB
    Tahr
    Cheers Thar, Ha!! wuz thinking bout that flaming Rifle all night. Decided best to leave it to the experts. This morn i drove over to my local Gunsmiths @ Rufford, promptly got a B@llicking for not cleaning it properly, left it with him with a wee friendly wager, that I bet he cannot clean it up any better, Hopefully will collect a sparkling clean repaired Rifle next week, fingers crossed I wont collect a Sparkling bill to match
    Last edited by greenhillstairs; 10-02-2013 at 13:15.

Fingers crossed it all works out, I was on GreenHillstairs yesterday morning, see somebody had a roe North of the B road, then there was a couple of lad in a pick up on the FC block south of the road.

ATB

Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by greenhillstairs View Post
    Cheers Thar, Ha!! wuz thinking bout that flaming Rifle all night. Decided best to leave it to the experts. This morn i drove over to my local Gunsmiths @ Rufford, promptly got a B@llicking for not cleaning it properly, left it with him with a wee friendly wager, that I bet he cannot clean it up any better, Hopefully will collect a sparkling clean repaired Rifle next week,
    fingers crossed I wont collect a Sparkling bill to match
    Just hope you don't use those sausage pinkies to open the wallet!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by Thar View Post
    Fingers crossed it all works out, I was on GreenHillstairs yesterday morning, see somebody had a roe North of the B road, then there was a couple of lad in a pick up on the FC block south of the road.

ATB
    Tahr
    Are You in our Part time controller group Thar? or was you just up there for a walk. Only ever seen or met 1 of the other boys who Stalk up there, he said he was quite local. If the weather abates over the next few weeks, Roe tend to start showing up everywere. We tend to shoot them upto the first week march. The grounds then rested for a month or so for the start of the Buck's. Sika however are another matter !! bst regards.

[QUOTE=finnbear270;523101]Just hope you don't use those sausage pinkies to open the wallet! - They defo more Cumberland then chipolata, wasnt aware my wallet opened !!