Thread: 7mm STW load data

7mm STW load data

Hi,

I'm looking to start reloading for a Sako 75 in 7mm STW. For Reloader 22 the lightest bullet Alliant give Load data for is a Speer 145 grain SP's and the stated max load is 77 grains. I have data for 140 grain NBT's using reloader 22 from the Nosler manual, the start is 71 the max is 75. I am thinking that it should be about the same for Hornady 139 grain SST's but am not sure as charge weight normally needs to go up as bullet weight goes down but the above 2 pieces of data contradict that.

Please can anyone who has a Hornady manual tell me what it states should be the start and max loads for 139 grain SST's with reloader 22 if it is even in the manual, and what primers are stated.

thanks

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by night stalker View Post
    ..Please can anyone who has a Hornady manual tell me what it states should be the start and max loads for 139 grain SST's with reloader 22 if it is even in the manual, and what primers are stated.
    Rick.
    RL-22 start 67.0 gr max 74.1 gr.
    Have fun.
    JCS

Thanks JCS

Rick

NS,
    The possible contradiction on your load data is that different bullets greater or lesser have different frictional bearing surfaces, and thus the loads are calculated not only on weight but on the friction each individual bullet has.
    My Quickload disc is knacked,but I can tell you that when is was working my 6.5 load data showed varying degrees of pressure when using the same bullet weight but different makes, and also velocity was significantly different.

139gn lapua scenars showed 3180fps and the 140gn scirocco's showed 3000fps with the same load of retumbo.

Less bearing surface less pressure.

regards
    G

Hi G, I had assumed that it was something along those lines but wasn't sure even after a google search. Will knock some test loads up using both bullets, then once the rifle comes back from screw cutting for a muzzle break I can go play.

Thanks

Rick

Cheers have looked on the 7mm STW brotherhood thread but there seems to be a lot of people running way above manufacturer max loads so have ignored a lot of what I've read. I now have the data I need for 139 gain SST's 140 grain NBT's and 162 grain A-max.

Thanks

Rick

Hi Rick keep us posted on how you get on. I have been running 74 grns RL22 with 140 Nosler BT and 140 Partitions for over 10 years now. Never needed to change anything although I am going to try either Barness TTSX or the LRX for moose this year if I can get hold of any.
    Martin