Sako 85

Tuck

Hi all looking for some help on behalf of a mate

he has a sako 85 hunter coming and he will be looking for a nice deer load mainly reds! Don't need any lectures on the 243 not being man enough or any of that, just after a few pointers for a nice load, he's thinking 95g nosler!!!!
We are wondering what sort of velocities anyone is getting with the heavier bullets out if the 20" tube any info graetly appreciated

Rob

Hi all looking for some help on behalf of a mate

he has a sako 85 hunter coming and he will be looking for a nice deer load mainly reds! Don't need any lectures on the 243 not being man enough or any of that, just after a few pointers for a nice load, he's thinking 95g nosler!!!!
We are wondering what sort of velocities anyone is getting with the heavier bullets out if the 20" tube any info graetly appreciated

Rob

When I had a .243 I only used 100gr Core-Lokt for Reds and that was after finding 95 gr Nosler BT and Hornady SST broke up too much and didn't always exit so I felt it would have been only a matter of time if hitting heavy bone. . .
I can't say they didn't work I just didn't have a huge amount of confidence in this bullet and weight for body shots.
If I can find the 100gr load and velocity still I'll post it.

If he is going for reds in Scotland then it will have to be 100grn or above to be legal. Not sure how the law is else where

35gn h4895 worked in my r93, just shy of 3k fps with the 95's. my fave load is 40gn h4895 and 70gn ballistic tip, 3350 fps from 22" barrel. A bullet that is reccomended by lecturers that teach the Bds advanced course....

Thanks Gary sounds good, the other bullet he is thinking about is the sierras 100g game king soft point. He is concerned about velocity out of the short barrel!

The sako seems to be such a popular choice I'm guessing people must get on ok with the 20" barrel!
I personally think he's worrying about nothing.

35gn h4895 worked in my r93, just shy of 3k fps with the 95's. my fave load is 40gn h4895 and 70gn ballistic tip, 3350 fps from 22" barrel. A bullet that is reccomended by lecturers that teach the Bds advanced course....

70 gr BT recommended for Reds by BDS lecturers? B@ll@(£s!
And yes a .22LR will kill a Red too, but it's not advisable. We've had enough of so called 'snipers' with small bullets leaving wounded deer around the the place here. Suggest you use something more appropriate and not peddle bu11****.

Thanks Gary sounds good, the other bullet he is thinking about is the sierras 100g game king soft point. He is concerned about velocity out of the short barrel!

The sako seems to be such a popular choice I'm guessing people must get on ok with the 20" barrel!
I personally think he's worrying about nothing.

I don't think that there will be a problem with the 20 inch barrel, particularly with home loading. However I used the Sierra 100 grain SP Game King exclusively for several years with good results. But I then got a batch that caused severe meat damage (and I mean severe), so I rather lost confidence in them. I had also committed the cardinal sin and not kept the loaded cartridges separate from other batches, so had a lot of dismantling to do. I have no idea what the problem was with that batch of bullets as I did not send the remainder of them back.
We live and learn!

70 gr BT recommended for Reds by BDS lecturers? B@ll@(£s!
And yes a .22LR will kill a Red too, but it's not advisable. We've had enough of so called 'snipers' with small bullets leaving wounded deer around the the place here. Suggest you use something more appropriate and not peddle bu11****.

Thanks for pointing out my mistake, i didnt spot it was for reds, i should clarify, bds lecturer reccomends them anything up to fallow.

i dont however, prefer the amax myself.....

Back