Thread: New to the game.....

New to the game.....

Hello all,

Just read the requirement to introduce myself. So here we go.

I have been game/clay shooting for approx 10 years or so, i used to do a lot of lamping with a .22 air rifle in my late teens. Been shooting rifles with the TA for 5 years and the cadets before that so have plenty of experiance there. Also recently joined a rifle club and now have full membership.

Met with the FEO last week and he has ok'd my FAC for a .22lr and a 6.5x55 for stalking/fox (although i need to get some experiance shooting deer before he'll amend the FAC to include them on my nominated land, so just fox/range at the moment).

Not too into trophy hunting but more like 3 or 4 deer a year for the pot. I had my first one last year off a friend which i butchered. That was an interesting experiance - very time consuming the first time!

So thats about it for me really.

Hi Jim

Welcome to SD

Agreed, an awfull lot of mince with the first deer i butchered aswell..

ATB

Terry

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Jim

Welcome to the site - whereabouts in the country are you?

willie_gunn

Re: New to the game.....

Quote Originally Posted by jim hoare
    Hello all,

I have been game/clay shooting for approx 10 years or so, i used to do a lot of lamping with a .22 air rifle in my late teens. Been shooting rifles with the TA for 5 years and the cadets before that so have plenty of experiance there. Also recently joined a rifle club and now have full membership.

Met with the FEO last week and he has ok'd my FAC for a .22lr and a 6.5x55 for stalking/fox (although i need to get some experiance shooting deer before he'll amend the FAC to include them on my nominated land, so just fox/range at the moment).

Not too into trophy hunting but more like 3 or 4 deer a year for the pot. I had my first one last year off a friend which i butchered. That was an interesting experiance - very time consuming the first time!

Welcome Jim.

Does that mean you will be licensed for a 6.5 for fox but not deer? Seems to me that if your safe to shoot fox with the 6.5 then your safe to shoot deer?

Re: New to the game.....

Quote Originally Posted by deer man
    Quote Originally Posted by jim hoare
    Hello all,

Welcome Jim.

Does that mean you will be licensed for a 6.5 for fox but not deer? Seems to me that if your safe to shoot fox with the 6.5 then your safe to shoot deer?
    Yeah, i did think the same but i'm not to bothered as i think i would have gone to an estate anyway to get some practice under guidance. so i just have to do it formally and get some written proof of three shots/kills before getting the licence amended.

Cheers for the welcome guys, its warming to see such a positive response to an introdution.

To follow up on a few queries, I live near Winchester so if anyone is local and they want a buddy for the day then give me a shout. I always enjoy a good day out in the country even if i don't end up pulling a trigger, as does my useless labrador who currently has bad case of wind!

With regards to my first proper butchering experiance, it wasn't really the amount of mince, more that fact it took me four hours when the guy on the YouTube video did it in 4 nine minute videos.....very emotional!

But i will be honest it was well worth doing, my non-shooting friends have been very impressed with some of the dishes i served up...Roe serloin with cranberry and port & venison stroganoff both being particular winners!

Hoping to get my first few shots soon thanks to a lead on this forum...fingers crossed!