Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fashion for short barrels

Fashion for short barrels

I'v just been perusing the pages of Gun Trader.

Anyway this brings me on to the fashion for short barrels on rifles firing cartridges such as the 25-06 . . ..270 . . . 30-06

There seems to be a glut of rifles with 20 and 22 inch barrels, why is this, when all of the above will be at their optimum using at least a 24 inch tube . . .surely the manufacturers are aware of the reduction in MV and should offer a barrel appropriate to the cartridge ????

As such i'm actually begining to toy with a .308 winchester for all my stalking needs.
    Last edited by Cadex; 14-02-2013 at 16:53.

While the usual view has always been for a .25-06 at least, that 'velocity is everything' I've had my .25-06 K95 for ten years now and stalked & shot every UK species of deer (Male & female) also feral goat & fox with it.
    My rifle has a 20" barrel (22" to rear of cartridge case) and I most certainly believe it carries easily enough muzzle velocity & energy using my choices of bullets which are 100gn Prohunter & 110gn Accubond.

The ranges at which quarry have been taken are both near and occasionally far (Open hill in Sutherland) no engine room shot has failed to bring the quarry down quickly. So, I have to assume you're just unconvinced about a loss of 2" and 60fps approx.
    There's no need to be. I get approx. 3310fps MV with 100gn & 3100fps with 110gn bullets, chrono'd but obviously not under strict lab. conditions.

Certainly it's never wrong to buy whatever cal/cartridge you fancy as long as it's legal for the job, but a 20"/22" barrelled .25-06Rem. will most certainly perform very well indeed. Incidentally, the accuracy with my rifle is just fine. Best of luck with your choice. ATB
    Last edited by deeangeo; 10-02-2013 at 22:28.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

I have always gone down the longer barrel route...hell I can just step back 2 inches if the length gets in the way!!

I have just recently entered the short barrel clan with a 308. Hopefully the experiment will work.. too early to tell at the moment?

Quote Originally Posted by Cadex View Post
    I'v just been perusing the pages of Gun Trader after finding that there is a small pit in the barrel of my Tikka T3 Hunter in 25-06 . . . to be fair it isn't having any effect on accuracy, but things like that really annoy me. . I know its there now and won't be happy till its not.

Anyway this brings me on to the fashion for short barrels on rifles firing cartridges such as the 25-06 . . ..270 . . . 30-06

There seems to be a glut of rifles with 20 and 22 inch barrels, why is this, when all of the above will be at their optimum using at least a 24 inch tube . . .surely the manufacturers are aware of the reduction in MV and should offer a barrel appropriate to the cartridge ????

As such i'm actually begining to toy with a .308 winchester for all my stalking needs.
    Welcome to the bright side of life...

SD Regular
    In fact 22" barrel length is, or was, pretty much a standard barrel length in the USA where bolt action rifles might be carried either in a pick-up truck or a scabbard on a horse. However I don't like it either as having neither pick-up nor the desire to "ride the range" I prefer the extra two inches, the extra velocity AND the noise of the report two inches further away from my lugholes!

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    In fact 22" barrel length is, or was, pretty much a standard barrel length in the USA where bolt action rifles might be carried either in a pick-up truck or a scabbard on a horse. However I don't like it either as having neither pick-up nor the desire to "ride the range" I prefer the extra two inches, the extra velocity AND the noise of the report two inches further away from my lugholes!

Shorty barrels? That often totally negate the ballistic advantage that high intensity cartridges had over there "plain jane" cousins in the first place... weird thinking, to my mind. The 18" .30-06 is a classic example of the malady... even a 20" .308 will far surpass it in performance ... so why do it?

Voluntary non-essential cosmetic surgery, excessive piercings and tattoos... I think these are all similar "fashions"... that perhaps stem from some sort of desire to be "self expressive" by joining the massive club of like minded self mutilators ... Is there some sort of patholgy or psychosis at play... I honestly and sincerely suspect there might be. Or ignorance... Sick or stoopid seem to be the explanations.

cartridges like the 25-06 and 270 Winchester used to have at least 24" barrels and some manufactures offered 26" barrels then came cost cutting and fads for lighter rifles. BSA reduced the barrel length on their Featherweight Models to help get teh weight down by using 22" barrels instead of the 24" or 25" barrels previously used and this was in the mid 1950's.

Simply put shorter barrels cost less to make. Their is less material and it take less time to cut of form the rifling in a shorter tube. Add this time saving and cost saving up over production runs and it does add up.

So really if your using a 20" barrel in 25-06 you might as well have a standard .257 Roberts as the 25-06 is not giving the performance that earned it it's reputation. Same goes with the 270 Winchester. These large capacity high intensity cases need barrel length to perform. Faster powder build pressures faster so can never really replace the slow powders normally used in these cases.

Yes it's a fad that has come around once more and will probably fade away again. The biggest problem will be to get the manufacturers to offer barrles of appropriate length so that these cartridges cane perform as intended.

It reminds me of the Japanese "Home" maket so called super bikes. A friend bought a Jap spec 750 Katana and found it to be totally gutless. Further investigation revealed a set of tiny carbs that should have been at home on a 350 and not a 750 so a normal set of 750 carbs were acquired from a breaker and performance restored. So the Japanese customers paid a premium for a performance bike and got a strangled imitation. Bit like the new shorty barreled rifles.

Lets be honest a longer rifle is less of a handicap on the hill or when stalking open ish ground. That's why my 7mm rm will always have a 26 in tube. The 308 on the other hand seems to lend itself better to a shorter tube so can become a woodland stalking rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Tamus View Post
    Shorty barrels? That often totally negate the ballistic advantage that high intensity cartridges had over there "plain jane" cousins in the first place... weird thinking, to my mind. The 18" .30-06 is a classic example of the malady... even a 20" .308 will far surpass it in performance ... so why do it?
    Voluntary non-essential cosmetic surgery, excessive piercings and tattoos... I think these are all similar "fashions"... that perhaps stem from some sort of desire to be "self expressive" by joining the massive club of like minded self mutilators ... Is there some sort of patholgy or psychosis at play... I honestly and sincerely suspect there might be. Or ignorance... Sick or stoopid seem to be the explanations.
    My point exactly !!!
    Manufacturers take note . .
    Last edited by Cadex; 11-02-2013 at 11:38.

I dont think it is a fad to be honest.

There are plenty of people out there that don't care if the bullet leaves the end of the barrel going 90/ft/sec slow when they have a 4inch shorter barrel.

I doubt the deer you shoot will tell you the difference. But after carrying the extra weight around your back will