Thread: bore/caliber

bore/caliber

hi, does any one know to measure an barrel to see what caliber it is, i know the proofs should state this, but id like to check this and be just be able to know and do it.
    atb
    simon

slug it and mic the slug (forcing a lead or similar projectitle of suitable size down the barrel so it takes on the profile of the grooves and lands)
    or cast the muzzle with some of that fancy alloy stuff, same technique

Quote Originally Posted by simon1979 View Post
    hi, does any one know to measure an barrel to see what caliber it is, i know the proofs should state this, but id like to check this and be just be able to know and do it.
    atb
    simon

Do you know what the chambering is supposed to be?~Muir

im unsure, i think its .22

Simon are you looking for the definition of bore and calibre, or are you looking to find the actual process of being able to measure the bore of a rifle barrel? If so for what purpose and what is the rifle you want to measure?
    I think you have us a little confused here.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

hi there, i would like to know how to measure a barrel to find out what caliber it is, i have an very old deactived rifle which was left to me, i cant see any markings on the the rifle, all i know is the barrel is rifled. so i guess im just being nosey really, but id like to find out cal its is, and maybe from that i can try and work out what it is and may be the age, thats if it is a caliber which is no longer used of coursed
    many thanks
    simon

Perhaps if you posted some photograhs of the rifle somebody will be able to identify it otherwise taking chamber casts and measuring them can be quite involved.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

yes i will try and get some pics

Quote Originally Posted by simon1979 View Post
    hi there, i would like to know how to measure a barrel to find out what caliber it is,
    When you say caliber (and I note your US spelling of the word) are you wanting to find out what type of cartridge the rifle is chambered for, rather than the inernal diameter of the rifled section of the barrel (which is the true meaning of of the word caliiber)? If you want to know the cartridge type, take some photos of the rifle so we can see what type it is and/or tell us what markings you do see on the rifle. If you want to know the diameter (the calibre) of the bore then you can force a lead slug through the barrel using a rod or take a casting using Cerrosafe and measure the casting. Cerrosafe will also cast the chamber and help you identify the cartridge for which the rifle is chambered.

-JMS
    Last edited by JMS906; 13-02-2013 at 11:02.