Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Sako 85 Bavarian

  1. #1

    Sako 85 Bavarian

    I recently purchased a new Sako 85 varmint laminate stainless in .243 and a 30 cal Jet z, after half a dozen outings I'm thinking I've made the wrong rifle choice. I find it very accurate and a dream to shoot with but due to neck problems a very uncomfortable bit of kit to lug around, been looking at the Bavarian and the light stainless in 308 but rather fancy the Bavarian, anybody got one, how do they perform and are they available threaded in 1-18 ?

  2. #2
    What is it that makes it uncomfortable to carry? Is it the heavy varmint barrel? If so you might want to look at the hunter laminated stainless, rather than varmint laminated stainless. It's more or less the same rifle, just with a lighter barrel. I think it would be a pity to get Bavarian, then immediately lose the foresight so that it can be threaded. To me it just looks so much better with it, IMHO.

  3. #3
    it's called a learning curve ;-)

    correct, your gear is great for sitting on the bonnet of a defender, and then back in the cabinet.

    you want a wood/blued sporter in not much more than 20" barrel length and an Atec maxim moderator. and either a monte carlo or a hogback stock. hogback is lovely, but you want a low sitting scope, so go for low mounts a 4x32 or
    3-9X36 scope ensuring the bolt will clear on low mounts.

    don't let it upset you, that's why it's called learning ;-)

    ps. I'd stick with the .243 in the bavarian and have a decent smith set the front sight back just behind the threading and put an invisible thread cap on
    Last edited by PKL; 11-02-2013 at 15:01.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Kev View Post
    I recently purchased a new Sako 85 varmint laminate stainless in .243 and a 30 cal Jet z, after half a dozen outings I'm thinking I've made the wrong rifle choice. I find it very accurate and a dream to shoot with but due to neck problems a very uncomfortable bit of kit to lug around, been looking at the Bavarian and the light stainless in 308 but rather fancy the Bavarian, anybody got one, how do they perform and are they available threaded in 1-18 ?
    If you have neck problems is the 308 the right choice? A great calibre but one of many.
    Sorry but what I'm suggesting might cost you! The Jet-z is 550g but a Hardy Gen IV is 293g, that coupled with the Sako Finnlight might be your answer.
    I would also consider only going up from .243 to either 6.5x55 or 7mm-08 just because they are smoother shooting, especially in a lighter rifle, than the 308 and will kill all deer with equal aplomb .

  5. #5
    if its the weight, have it rebarelled in same calibre or 6.5 x 55 get a aluminium mod to help with the weight and a rifle harness rather than a sling

    the rifle is a cracking piece of kit, probably not the right weight for conventional foot slog proper stalking.

    persevere you have the right tool for the job

    good luck


    phil

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    What is it that makes it uncomfortable to carry? Is it the heavy varmint barrel? If so you might want to look at the hunter laminated stainless, rather than varmint laminated stainless. It's more or less the same rifle, just with a lighter barrel. I think it would be a pity to get Bavarian, then immediately lose the foresight so that it can be threaded. To me it just looks so much better with it, IMHO.
    Almost a pound and a half difference between the varmint and a standard 85, just liked the look of the Bavarian but my question on that was answered after a call to the sportsman, at least a six month wait on special order.

  7. #7
    6.5x55 a caliber I've never used before, I see there's a lot of users on the site maybe its one I should give a try. As for sound mods the only ones I've seen locally are Ase, T8 & wildcat, probably best looking further than the local gunshops.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Kev View Post
    6.5x55 a caliber I've never used before, I see there's a lot of users on the site maybe its one I should give a try. As for sound mods the only ones I've seen locally are Ase, T8 & wildcat, probably best looking further than the local gunshops.
    I went from .243 to a Sako 75 syn/st 6.5x55mm, and with the Hardy Gen IV mod, it's all the rifle I need.

    The attached Z6i 3-18x50 scope adds some weight, but all round it's a superb package.

    Speak direct to Riflecraft for the mod, or your local RFD. Emmett & Stone in Marlow got mine for me, and it was quick delivery...

    Cheers
    i.
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    it's called a learning curve ;-)

    correct, your gear is great for sitting on the bonnet of a defender, and then back in the cabinet.

    you want a wood/blued sporter in not much more than 20" barrel length and an Atec maxim moderator. and either a monte carlo or a hogback stock. hogback is lovely, but you want a low sitting scope, so go for low mounts a 4x32 or
    3-9X36 scope ensuring the bolt will clear on low mounts.

    don't let it upset you, that's why it's called learning ;-)

    ps. I'd stick with the .243 in the bavarian and have a decent smith set the front sight back just behind the threading and put an invisible thread cap on
    I think the Bavarian is gonna be knocked on the head now, the Finnlite is looking more of an option now or even a standard 85 wood blued, as for caliber I'd decided on 308 but now after reading replies there is some doubt. ps Bloody expensive learning curve.
    Last edited by Big Kev; 11-02-2013 at 17:20. Reason: mist a bit

  10. #10
    Take it back and get a Sako 85 finnlite put an A-tec mod on the end of it and you'll never look back !

Similar Threads

  1. For Sale Sako 85 .243 BAVARIAN & T8 Mod
    By James20 in forum Firearms
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 23-11-2013, 20:53
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-07-2012, 10:54
  3. Sako 75 v sako 85
    By joelewis1971 in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-11-2010, 11:36
  4. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-07-2010, 13:23
  5. Sako 85 Bavarian .308
    By Brough in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 23-06-2009, 12:03

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •