Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer calibre requirements abroad?

Deer calibre requirements abroad?

It always intreagues me how we have such specific calibre requirements in GB while abroad (possibly more so outside Europe) anything seems to go. I thought it might be interesting to see who could list a country/state and what the law for calibre or even arrow was for what species in that country or if there are none.

Went to Africa a couple of years ago and took my 7x57 which performed very well on plains game but another chap was on safari with the outfitters rifle this was a .243 and on closer inspection of the ammo they where using 40 grn bullets on things like black wilderbeest which are tough cookies with a bigger cal but no one seemed to bother out there
    i suppose we are more concerned about the animals we shoot at over here

Munty_Hunter,

In France, for Boar, there are local minimums. I would expect that they may have similar for deer, as both tend to be shot together on driven hunts.

Stan

A cousin of mine shot Antelope in Africa the size of a Fallow with a .22 magnum which just seems crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Munty_Hunter View Post
    A cousin of mine shot Antelope in Africa the size of a Fallow with a .22 magnum which just seems crazy.
    With due respect Munty, Africa is a whole continent and not simply a country and where game laws vary from quite onerous to simply non existant. On top of that policing the bush and what goes on in the bush is somewhat difficult. In spite of this I have read some reports of hunters adhering rigidly to seemingly stupid laws in some African countries because the penalties if caught are simply horrendous.

I am racking my brain to remember where I saw quite an extensive list outlining the gun laws in a number of countries recently. With regard to France while certain laws on requirements may be set regionally most of the requirements adhere to national guidance.
    Last edited by 8x57; 12-02-2013 at 13:13.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    With regard to France while certain laws on requirements may be set regionally most of the requirements adhere to national guidance.
    I came across the regulations for my wife's region yesterday and the specification for all big game was a calibre larger than 5.6mm with a muzzle energy of 1000kJ, which really doesn't seem like much for a boar. Alternately they allow slugs in shotguns or number 2 or 3 shot (French shot sites, but I don't think they're significantly different).

French David recently quoted the following for boar-

"In France when we pass our DSC1 (brevet grand gibier) you learn that to shoot boar, you need a rifle who develop 2500 joules at 100 metres."

I think that the figure you have quoted Pine Marten may be the minimum for roe but I may be wrong.
    Last edited by 8x57; 12-02-2013 at 13:42.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

1000kJ or 1,000,000 joules seems a lot for a roe, or any quarry for that matter. Regards JCS

Well the Fédération départementale des chasseurs de Mayenne specifies: "Obligation de tir à balle (avec arme à canon rayé équipée d’une lunette de tir d’un calibre supérieur à 5,6 mm ou développant une énergie minimale de 1000 joules à 100 m) ou tir à l’arc"

I've just had a look at the recommendations for my part of the world, in Alsace and the Vosges, and they just specify a rifled firearm equipped with a telescopic sight or a bow. It's left up to the hunter to choose beyond that. But I suppose that when you're allowed any calibre you like (apart from military ones), you're unlikely to deliberately undergun yourself.

I'm not saying that French David is wrong, just that French Pine Marten still thinks that there's no national legislation governing minimal calibres for difference species, it's down to the local bye-laws.

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    1000kJ or 1,000,000 joules seems a lot for a roe, or any quarry for that matter. Regards JCS
    Sorry, a misplaced "k" in "kJ" there, I was a bit carried away.