Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Baiting boar....

Baiting boar....

I hope someone can help, just taken on some new ground and the farmer has come to me complaining off boar issues. They've caused severe damage to fields and he is certain they took lambs in spring past. Does anyone have experience if this? What's the best way to bait them in? I've had 2 in the lamb and have seen at least 4 more. They live in a glen which a spaniel would turn its nose up at..! So trying to draw them out. Any help would be much appreciated!

I use whole dry maize which they really go for. Little and often and it should bring them out. An automated feeder helps but not cheap. Good luck, let us know how you get on. Word of caution, mature sows will be heavily pregnant or have small young at foot now.

How about apples as a food source?

As Penyard, whole maize is v good, I have also found peanuts work very well too. Buy them in 25kg bags as sold for bird wild bird feed...... not salted or dry roasted :-)
    But make them work for them and scatter well, not in piles.

ATB

T

The Germans feed whole maize which works a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by R8 user View Post
    The Germans feed whole maize which works a treat.
    So do the French its very good.
    STALKING. WILD BOAR IN FRANCE. SOLE UK AGENT FOR BACONNES DOMAINE DE CHASSE. TRAINING. DSC 1 COURSES AND DSC 2 WITNESSING. FIRST AID FOR STALKERS.
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
    www.stalkinginengland.co.uk Stalkers online shop at www.deerstalkingequipmentandclothing.co.uk
    www.hunteurope.co.uk or contact 01728 745066 during office hours.

Quote Originally Posted by stalkinginengland View Post
    So do the French its very good.
    Ditto the Poles !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    As Penyard, whole maize is v good, I have also found peanuts work very well too. Buy them in 25kg bags as sold for bird wild bird feed...... not salted or dry roasted :-)
    But make them work for them and scatter well, not in piles.

ATB

T
    Put the small (meaning only a handfull) pile of maize in a small hole 6-8 inchs deep then cover it back up as they will still smell it and will have to spend more time in the open grubbing it up to give enough time for a good shot placement. This is the German way.
    Martin

Fruit pulp especially apple. If there are any orchards or fruit farms near you then give them a ring and they are often happy for you to take their pulp from them at no cost. However looking at your location I'm not sure if you'll have many fruit farms near you so in which case go for maize. A farmer I know in Germany uses the burnt remains from his maize drier and he has no problems bring in the boar to high seats with that. You'll probably find local farmers are happy for you to take burnt maize off that hands for free.

Looking forward to seeing some photos.

I feed maize. My feeder only throw's out 1kg a day.
    The picture is from when i first put up the feeder. The ground under it is well turned over by boar now. With feeders like this you must have them high enough so boar can't jump up and rip the spreader to pieces