Thread: question for .260 Rem reloaders

question for .260 Rem reloaders

Hello everyone,i have been wondering if i'm the only .260 shooter who is interested in the Hornady Superformance powder for this cartridge. I know Hornady does not list it for the .260 but they do list it for the CM, a ballistic twin, or nearly the ballistic twin. I'm curious to find out if some of you have actually tried it and what was the outcome. No one has posted anywhere that they have but i believe it has been tried by someone. I've asked this question on a forum in the USA and did not get an answer. All i received was some lectures on different powders working better,try this,try that, why do you want to use something that has no data listed? So im' asking here because you fellows seem to be a lot more helpful than the USA shooters. Again i want to say, if someone has actually used it in the .260, please respond. I really think this powder would give outstanding velocity with a 129 gr. Hornady SST. as this is what i'm thinking i want to try. I'm shootin a Savage F-Class 30" Barrel from Bartlein with a 1-8 1/2" twist. Thanks in advance. .......SEMPER FI!

Hi there,
    I had a look around the web to see what could be found , so may be you have read this ,Hornady Superformance/260 Rem/Barnes Match Burner Load

ATB

.260 Rwm.Reloaders

Quote Originally Posted by Outback View Post
    Hi there,
    I had a look around the web to see what could be found , so may be you have read this ,Hornady Superformance/260 Rem/Barnes Match Burner Load

ATB
    Yes sir i read it a couple of times before.I got a rush at first when he started out talking about the 129 Hdy. but was quickly brought down when he went with the 140 BMB. I have a box of 120 A-Max. Might just have to go it alone as this guy did. Would rather to hear from someone who has tried it but so far no takers. Thanks for your help. I know it may make some people gasp at the thought of what i'm wanting to do but ,like someone once said, somebody has to do it! Might as well be me. Who knows, it may turn out to be the ideal powder for the .260. Any way if i dont blow up the rifle i'll be the first to let ya'll know. ..............SEMPER FI!

Sarge, I have no knowledge of this powder. The best powder to date in my 20.5" 260 has been Reloder 17. I get 2900 FPS with a 120gr NBT, this is a sub book max load. My rifle has a fairly tight chamber and short throat, I get pressure signs at book max loads. I can stick a Lapua 123gr Scenar on top of the same load and get the same results. I have shot the 129gr SST's from this rifle, but I did not like them, can't remember the loads and velocity, but around 280 FPS comes to mind.

Don't know if this is any use to you or not.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Thanks but not what i'm looking for. I have a pound of RE-17 but have not tried it as of yet. 2900 fps. out of a 20.5" barrel is very good. I guess i could expect a good bit more from a 30" Barrel. Have you tried any 129-130 gr.bullets yet? I know i can get over 3100 fps. out of a 120 gr. Hornady A-Max. but i want something heavier. Thanks again. ............... SEMPER FI!

I had a 260 REM since it's inception up until early January of this year !

Had a Model 7 stainless synthetic that I bought when the round first hit the market and I killed about 30 deer with it shooting the Nosler 125 Partition and IMR4350 . Also had a Remington 700BDL Stainless Synthetic with a detachable mag that I killed several deer using the Nosler 120 BT and IMR4350 .

But the list does not stop there !

Over the years I owned a Savage Stryker hand rifle in the cartridge as well as a Remington XP100R and both of them did nicely with Nosler 120 BT's .

I have a friend thats got a Krieger barreled 700 260 REM . His gun has a 30" pipe thats 1-8.5 twist I believe . And he shoots the Berger 130 VLD pushed with RL-17 . If what he tells me is true , his velocities exceed what I'm getting in my 264 WIN MAG with a 26" pipe using IMR4350 and the Hornady 129 SST !

Thanks Sika. I'm really hell bent on trying this Superformance though. Guess it's the MARINE CORPS training! I would like to hear from at least one person who has tried it as i've already purchased a 1 lb. container of it. Just can't find the 129 HDy. SST right now. You know, the panic buying here in the USA. Thanks again for the reply. Oh yes, i have used H-4350 and H-4831 and they both do well in my 30" Barrel. ..........SEMPER FI!

Quote Originally Posted by Sargesniper View Post
    Thanks Sika. I'm really hell bent on trying this Superformance though. Guess it's the MARINE CORPS training! I would like to hear from at least one person who has tried it as i've already purchased a 1 lb. container of it. Just can't find the 129 HDy. SST right now. You know, the panic buying here in the USA. Thanks again for the reply. Oh yes, i have used H-4350 and H-4831 and they both do well in my 30" Barrel. ..........SEMPER FI!
    When I got that Model 7 back in the 90's there was no loading data available and the best I could get from them was start at the bottom of the 6.5x55 and work your way up !

I used mostly IMR4350 and IMR4831 and shot some exceptional groups with that little rifle . Also once the data came out ALL my loads were 2-4 grains over what they listed as max in their manuals .

One things for darn sure IMR4350 pushing the Nosler 125 PT and lit with a CCI200 was a deer killing load !

Incidently my buddy with the Krieger barreled 260 went to Texas around Xmas time to visit his wifes sister and carried along his 260 . Seems he popped a 260 pound piggie at 665yards . Dropped the pig with the first shot !

The guy he was hunting with told him to be prepared as they sometimes got back up , the hog twitched a bit on the ground and my buddy popped him again in the briskit between the front legs . I saw a video of it and I believe they posted it on YouTube .

Here's a link to the YouTube video !

Last edited by 6pt-sika; 14-02-2013 at 11:32.