Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Deer Dog

First Deer Dog

Hi Guys,

I have almost convinced her in door to let me get a dog for my stalking.

Just looking for some general info and whats a good dog to start with, i have no prior dog training experience so looking for something that wont take the utter p*ss out of me all the time. It would also have to have a good temprement as well as i've got a four year old kid in the house. The dog will be almost soley used for for deer with maybe an occasional rabbits. It will be kept in doors as its going to be a family dog as well. I'm willing to put plenty of time into the dogs training.

The bottom line is i'm looking for a deer dog for a beginner. Any ideas?

Cheers Rob

Lab, easy, steady, child friendly!

Teckel, very child friendly, excellent nose, great in the house and they don't take up much room or eat you out of house and home!

Quote Originally Posted by Vonoepen View Post
    Teckel, very child friendly, excellent nose, great in the house and they don't take up much room or eat you out of house and home!
    Having been down the Teckel road I would say they are not a novice dog. Excellent little dogs though!

Thanks guys, i would really love a teckel or some sort of blood hound but i have herd they are pretty head strong and not really for the novice dog trainer. I really like spaniels also but i have been told they are more of a shotgun dog than a deer dog. The two dogs who i'm out with regularly are labs and they are great dogs so i mite just go down that route and play it safe.

Cheers Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Bigboab29 View Post
    Thanks guys, i would really love a teckel or some sort of blood hound but i have herd they are pretty head strong and not really for the novice dog trainer. I really like spaniels also but i have been told they are more of a shotgun dog than a deer dog. The two dogs who i'm out with regularly are labs and they are great dogs so i mite just go down that route and play it safe.

Cheers Rob
    Rob

Really glad you asked the question as we're going to add a dog to the already packed house (3 kids <7) this year, and I was hoping that Lab would be the consensus of opinion!

Our split will 95% pet, 4% stalking, 1% walked up/rough and Lab is where we're heading. I grew up with a couple, and they are brilliant with kids, as well as being pretty easy to train by all accounts. Still leaves plenty of margin for the dog to still take the p*ss though...

Cheers
    i.
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Lab all the way or if you want to be different HWV.

Quote Originally Posted by unicorn71 View Post
    Lab all the way or if you want to be different HWV.
    Vizlas are awesome dogs and I love mine to bits but I wouldn't count them as a novice dog you can ruin one with some of the methods that others would advise you to use during training.

Quote Originally Posted by jungle_re View Post
    Vizlas are awesome dogs and I love mine to bits but I wouldn't count them as a novice dog you can ruin one with some of the methods that others would advise you to use during training.
    Quite correct Jungle they are a lot more sensative than a Lab which is probably the best allround choice

I'll be going for a HWV later on this year, can't wait!!!

Alba gu bràth

Sauer 101 6.5x55, Beretta Silver Pigeon 12g Over&Under