First Deer Dog

Bigboab29

Hi Guys,

I have almost convinced her in door to let me get a dog for my stalking.

Just looking for some general info and whats a good dog to start with, i have no prior dog training experience so looking for something that wont take the utter p*ss out of me all the time. It would also have to have a good temprement as well as i've got a four year old kid in the house. The dog will be almost soley used for for deer with maybe an occasional rabbits. It will be kept in doors as its going to be a family dog as well. I'm willing to put plenty of time into the dogs training.

The bottom line is i'm looking for a deer dog for a beginner. Any ideas?

Cheers Rob

Teckel, very child friendly, excellent nose, great in the house and they don't take up much room or eat you out of house and home! :)

Teckel, very child friendly, excellent nose, great in the house and they don't take up much room or eat you out of house and home! :)

Having been down the Teckel road I would say they are not a novice dog. Excellent little dogs though!

Thanks guys, i would really love a teckel or some sort of blood hound but i have herd they are pretty head strong and not really for the novice dog trainer. I really like spaniels also but i have been told they are more of a shotgun dog than a deer dog. The two dogs who i'm out with regularly are labs and they are great dogs so i mite just go down that route and play it safe.

Cheers Rob

Thanks guys, i would really love a teckel or some sort of blood hound but i have herd they are pretty head strong and not really for the novice dog trainer. I really like spaniels also but i have been told they are more of a shotgun dog than a deer dog. The two dogs who i'm out with regularly are labs and they are great dogs so i mite just go down that route and play it safe.

Cheers Rob

Rob

Really glad you asked the question as we're going to add a dog to the already packed house (3 kids <7) this year, and I was hoping that Lab would be the consensus of opinion!

Our split will 95% pet, 4% stalking, 1% walked up/rough and Lab is where we're heading. I grew up with a couple, and they are brilliant with kids, as well as being pretty easy to train by all accounts. Still leaves plenty of margin for the dog to still take the p*ss though...

Cheers
i.

Lab all the way or if you want to be different HWV.

Vizlas are awesome dogs and I love mine to bits but I wouldn't count them as a novice dog you can ruin one with some of the methods that others would advise you to use during training.

Vizlas are awesome dogs and I love mine to bits but I wouldn't count them as a novice dog you can ruin one with some of the methods that others would advise you to use during training.

Quite correct Jungle they are a lot more sensative than a Lab which is probably the best allround choice:thumb:

I would say a lab might be a good dog to start off with. I think the hpr breeds are very apt for stalking but most will take the advantage of a novice trainer.

Airedale pointing.jpg

Ever think of an Airedale? I am having fantastic success with my pup and now up to 300m artificial tracks (not out yet), retrieving dummies, not gun shy and working cover.

A great breed especially for your Scottish terrain. Brilliant with kids, hypoallergenic and non-shedding!

I'd be going for a lab too, for what you describe your needs to be, it's got to be a lab. Mine has a very good pedigree, she's quite highly strung (by that I mean she has O.C.D about working) and I wouldn't reccomend quite such a good pedigree. Mine is climbing the walls if she ever has no work to do. Get one from good deer dog lines, I'm sure someone on here will point you in the right direction.

Cheers guys, I think it's gona have to be a lab then, I do like labs as I've grown up with them from various lines and breeding.

shabz I know exactly what u mean my dads got a year old lab bitch from leadburn kennels and both her parents are ft champs and high strong and eager is and understatement!' She is hundred mile an hour stuff everywhere she goes and really easily excited with people, she bad for jumping maybe coz she's still young but her nose is exceptional and she really is a tireless worker:)

This is Dexter. Loves to wander. Starting to come back. Looking forward to start training in April ( 8 months ). Very sensitive little soul. Very social.
Ah you gotta love the little f--ker

Yeah hes a little cracker teyhan. Does he seem quite obedient so far or is he pretty headstrong?

I was looking at various dogs last nite, dont laugh - but i like the look of beagles!! I know there a type of scent hound with good nose but has anyone used one for deer stalking? dont really here them mentioned much on hear.

Yeah hes a little cracker teyhan. Does he seem quite obedient so far or is he pretty headstrong?

I was looking at various dogs last nite, dont laugh - but i like the look of beagles!! I know there a type of scent hound with good nose but has anyone used one for deer stalking? dont really here them mentioned much on hear.

He's definitely stubborn.
But I've just had a funny adventure with him. I take him to work with me and constantly have to look for him. Today I just let him wander off but he was being tracked-by me. He went 300m away from the workshop having a really good sniff around. He then started to move further away into a dip. I moved up to within 100m of him but then he came towards me and spotted me. He looked but couldn't tell it was me barked at me and then ran all the way back to the workshop and was clawing at the door to get in. He was panicing could still see me coming, so he tried a different entrance. I broke cover a quickly made my way round to him calling him. Hopefully he will have learnt a lesson today, don't wander too far from Dad, certainly keep him visible. Maybe that's what they mean by advanced training. Got to get inside that little head and manipulate those thoughts.

He's definitely stubborn.
But I've just had a funny adventure with him. I take him to work with me and constantly have to look for him. Today I just let him wander off but he was being tracked-by me. He went 300m away from the workshop having a really good sniff around. He then started to move further away into a dip. I moved up to within 100m of him but then he came towards me and spotted me. He looked but couldn't tell it was me barked at me and then ran all the way back to the workshop and was clawing at the door to get in. He was panicing could still see me coming, so he tried a different entrance. I broke cover a quickly made my way round to him calling him. Hopefully he will have learnt a lesson today, don't wander too far from Dad, certainly keep him visible. Maybe that's what they mean by advanced training. Got to get inside that little head and manipulate those thoughts.

You are asking for trouble if you let your Teckel wander off! It will end in tears and if your lucky a long search! The nose dictates what a Teckel does!

Back