Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: New rifle in 308

  1. #1

    New rifle in 308

    I'm after some advise, If you had a 2000 budget what 308 rifle would you buy and why?



    Thanks Nod

  2. #2
    SD Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East Midlands M1/M69 Junction 21
    Posts
    5,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Nod-1 View Post
    I'm after some advise, If you had a 2000 budget what 308 rifle would you buy and why?

    Thanks Nod
    An accurate one! W

    And with a magazine capacity commensurate with your needs.

    Fact of life is that as soon as you walk out the shop door that 2000 rifle becomes a 1500 rifle OR EVEN LESS! Personally unless it must ne new the best value is secondhand as the first purchaser has taken the VAT "hit".

    I am one of those that uses inexpensive Parker-Hale or gunsmith made Mauser rifles and puts a Zeiss or Kahles 'scope on them. So for me I'd spend more on good glass than I would on the rifle itself.

  3. #3
    Sako 85 stainless/fluted and a decent scope or a Tikka /scope and lots of stalking, either way you can't go wrong.Atb U71

  4. #4
    With respect, it would be nice to know what you want to use it for, because a 2000 lightweight hunting rifle would be crap on a 1000yd target rage and a 2000 F-Class target rifle would be the last thing you'd ever want to attempt to take stalking.

    If you're looking for a one gun does all, then as above, you could do far worse than a Sako 85 with a varmint barrel. Great on the rifle range and perfectly usable on the hill.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by A J View Post
    With respect, it would be nice to know what you want to use it for, because a 2000 lightweight hunting rifle would be crap on a 1000yd target rage and a 2000 F-Class target rifle would be the last thing you'd ever want to attempt to take stalking.

    If you're looking for a one gun does all, then as above, you could do far worse than a Sako 85 with a varmint barrel. Great on the rifle range and perfectly usable on the hill.
    But heavy to carry around all day, I have a new one in.243 with a Jet z on the end fired only 15 rounds I'm looking to move on, if your intrested pm me.

  6. #6
    I all ready own a Sako 85 varmint in 223 with a jet z moderator and absolutely love the gun, I'm just after some ideas of alternative hunting rifles in 308 from people who own them.


    Thanks Nod

  7. #7
    If one wants to take shots over 200yds I feel more comfortable with a slightly heavier barrel.
    A varmint barrel is just to heavy for hill stalking even if it is short.
    That's where custom rifles come in...build something that is just right.
    I have two custom 308's and working on the third. One is a 20" light barrel, a medium barrel (1450 LW profile 22")
    and a varmint fluted light weight tactical. The most universal and still accurate out to 400m
    is the medium barrel. Will shoot 20 rounds on the range without changing POI and not to heavy
    for the hill.
    A laminate stock might be quite nice to look at but they are mostly just too heavy. Some factory plastic stocks
    are horrible and from an engineering point of view and not even really suited as rifle stock material.
    Walnut is a good compromise between weight and stiffness but one must watch out for moisture getting in.
    Composites can be the most advanced in stock materials but some don't like non wood stocks.

    I would go with custom, meaning something that is just right for your needs.
    Or buy a simple say T3 or Remmy and let the rifle grow with you, plenty aftermarket bits
    available of much higher quality than most factory rifles are prepared to use.
    edi

  8. #8
    I got rid of my Rem 700 last 308 year for a new 308 and wanted a fairly lighweight stainless synthetic stalking rifle with a mod on a similar budget.

    I have found the two best options for me were a Browning X bolt just under a 1k or Sako 85 finnlight about 1600 (I did not like the Tikka T3, build quality felt poor). I went for the the X bolt although I thought the Sako was better, however I did not think it was over 600 better. Have put a roedale mod and swarovski scope on and it is a great package for about 2.5k total.

    Really like it and it is a great walking and stalking package, accurate and light.

    Just my experience and thoughts and apologies to the traditionalists who like wood etc.....
    Cheers
    JP

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    An accurate one! W

    And with a magazine capacity commensurate with your needs.

    Fact of life is that as soon as you walk out the shop door that 2000 rifle becomes a 1500 rifle OR EVEN LESS! Personally unless it must ne new the best value is secondhand as the first purchaser has taken the VAT "hit".

    I am one of those that uses inexpensive Parker-Hale or gunsmith made Mauser rifles and puts a Zeiss or Kahles 'scope on them. So for me I'd spend more on good glass than I would on the rifle itself.
    Attachment 24810
    I Agree, this stag taken with a 50 year old Parker Hale in 270. The rifle cost 60. I put a Timney trigger in it for 30. However it does depend weather you are a hobby stalker or a pro. by the way the scope cost 50 new. if I could afford it I would pay more but I would rather save on kit and pay for stalking.
    Tusker

  10. #10

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-09-2012, 17:16
  2. R93 Rifle .308
    By RWC2010 in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 09-09-2011, 17:58
  3. Wanted .308 rifle/set up
    By OSS32 in forum Firearms
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 23-08-2011, 20:31
  4. For Sale Krico .308 rifle
    By farquarson in forum Firearms
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 18-02-2011, 16:21
  5. Wanted 308 Rifle
    By dusk till dawn in forum Firearms
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 26-12-2010, 17:34

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •