Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bipod

Bipod

Guys,

I am Very new to the bipod world of shooting. I have always sighted my rifle with out one and hunted many many animals too. I was recently told that once you sight in a rifle with the bipod and then remove it the point of impact will not be same. Is this true? Does this mean that the zero will not be the same when shooting of sticks.

heard the same, but never experienced a POI change when shooting with or without them. all my rifles from .223, 6.5, 30-06 and .243 with/without bipod, never changes. maybe it's because they're not remmies with synthetic stocks

Sometime yes, sometimes no.

Depends upon your shooting style - some people put a lot of downward pressure on the forestock when shooting from bipod. Mix that with some of the makes that tend to be prone to stock contact - Prohunters, Sauer etc and it may be an issue.

Only one way to be sure...
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

I had an issue with a tikka t3 that changed it's poi with a bipod, and was far more accurate without it, after a bit of investigating I found that the forstock was bending and touching the barrel with the bipod on. It took all of 2 minutes with a bit of sandpaper to sort the problem. So it's not just a problem with remmies with synth stocks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by andymarsh View Post
    I had an issue with a tikka t3 that changed it's poi with a bipod, and was far more accurate without it, after a bit of investigating I found that the forstock was bending and touching the barrel with the bipod on. It took all of 2 minutes with a bit of sandpaper to sort the problem. So it's not just a problem with remmies with synth stocks!!!

I know, I just didn't want to start a mob-scene by saying anything negative about T3's they 'do' seem to have a cult following.

SD Regular
    Great Question.

I think the reality of this is that the installation of a bipod or the use of sticks ought not to change the PoI - but, where this may impact the freedom of the barrel float for example there may be a marginal change. I have seen rifles where people have put studs in too far that have touched the barrel, hence the point before. Some synthetic stocks appear to react differently with bipods on (presumably it may make them more rigid). None of my rifles change PoI with a bipod or off sticks.

Hope this helps.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Thank you. The bipod is coming off now.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by 30-06 View Post
    Thank you. The bipod is coming off now.

Cheers
    What rifle and what stock is on it. Ive never had a problem with POI between bipod use and no bi pod use e.g sticks.

nutty

I very recently zeroed my new tika of a bipod , when spot on , just out of intrest took the pod of and shot a group of the bench , no change.T3 s/s Synthetic Alloy a.tec max mod .The riffle was cooled ,cleaned between shooting the groups .

i have two basic wood stock sakos and havent noticed any difference ,once there set there set,like others have said be aware of keeping the barrel free , i have seen some people grip the barrel with there forehand in different types of stances , which wont do you any good !