Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yukon men

Yukon men

This program on now Discovery channel.
    Tusker

Watched this programme last night, hard men in a hard world making a hard living. One of the last wilderness areas and good to see old traditions living on.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Scenery was terrific and hard men as you say. However I must say that the gratuitous cruelty in the killing of the wolverine left me cold. Why the poor animal had to be ineffectively thumped with a stick before shooting is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dama View Post
    Scenery was terrific and hard men as you say. However I must say that the gratuitous cruelty in the killing of the wolverine left me cold. Why the poor animal had to be ineffectively thumped with a stick before shooting is beyond me.
    I wouldnt want to get too close with a 22 pistol and a round from rifle would cause too much damage to the pelt. So he had to slow it down a bit as we say. These men have a very different mind set to us.
    Tusker

Quote Originally Posted by tusker View Post
    I wouldnt want to get too close with a 22 pistol and a round from rifle would cause too much damage to the pelt. So he had to slow it down a bit as we say. These men have a very different mind set to us.
    Tusker
    You're dead right they have a different mindset! If you are hunting wolves and wolverines surely you would carry at least a .22 rifle, rather than a three inch short. These idiots were playing to the camera, and an animal suffered needlessly. They weren't too worried about pelt damage when they were loosing off shots with semiautomatic full bores to bring down an otter!

Good point Dama. but I still preffer this program to "Mountain Men"
    Tusker

You're dead right they have a different mindset! If you are hunting wolves and wolverines surely you would carry at least a .22 rifle, rather than a three inch short. These idiots were playing to the camera, and an animal suffered needlessly. They weren't too worried about pelt damage when they were loosing off shots with semiautomatic full bores to bring down an otter!
    +1 couldnt agree more.

Regards kev
    History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.

ill take a peek on this
    mark

I agree about the playing to the camera bit, but idiots? this is probably their one chance to get some money in, and if the producer wants shots at a running otter than I suspect thats what we get to see! as to the .22 rifle for wolves? good luck! they are carrying the minimum equipment to survive, the fullbore rifle is needed for the longshots, but not ideal for the coupe de grace for all the same reasons that pistols and shotguns are used here for humane dispatch, its a bit much to expect them to carry a .22 rifle just for dispatching, and it may offend some peoples delicate sensibilities to use a lump of wood to quieten the beast down, but at least it wasn't sanitised unlike most things now.
    Last edited by kennyc; 13-02-2013 at 21:34.
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Maybe these points will help explain things some.
    On the filming: basically, they just show the way we do it. I know a fair amount of people have problems with some of our methods. You know, some of it is kind of petty like, “I use a 7-foot pole when I strangle lynx, not a 10-foot pole.” I mean, give me a break. But some of it is like, “You should shoot it instead of stunning it,” little differences like that. But the film crew, they don’t get into that. They just film what we do. They don’t tell us they want this or they want that. They just follow us and they just film us. We say, “We do it this way,” and that’s how they film it. Sometimes you screw up and, well, it ends up on TV (missed wolverine on first swing). And I don’t know about it until the night it airs. That’s just the way TV is. The people who are on it, like me, we don’t even know what scenes are going to be on it.
    Also try shotting a wild wolverine's brain accurately with a pistol and then tell me I'm doing it wrong. If I'm going to sell the skull I don't do it but if I'm tanning the hides as I was going to do on the show wolverine I don't want any holes in the chest at all. so I stun humanely and brain shoot when animal is calm enough to do it. On the lack of rifles - weight and gear volume is a major factor when many go out for days. Carrying a 22 rifle is not an option when chances are you will not need it and you always have to bring your main hunt rifle anyway. My 22 pistol has the barrel cut off just to save weight.
    Also on the shows gun used elsewhere on the forum - Today as well as when I came to Alaska to live in an interior village on the Yukon River 40 years ago, many persons hunt with semi auto 223 cal rifles. The majority of them are being called assault rifles now. Leaving the anti gun debate to more educated persons, the fact is they make very good hunting guns. They are often well made and the 223 caliber is very suited to any animal up to caribou and while I prefer a larger rifle many use it for moose and bear. Ammo is smaller so cheaper and the larger capacity of the magazine simply means one carries all the bullets in one place while one is out for days as is often the case. It does not mean it takes 15 rounds to hunt a single animal. The world may find in it's "wisdom" that these guns are not to be owned but don't think for one minute they have no place in the woods. They are excelent survival tools. This is reality up here.
    There is a good show interview done on a major US trap/hunt site if you'd like to learn more - go to:
    trapperpredatorcaller.com and search Yukon Men. Thanks, Stan Zuray