Thread: DIY shotgun stock bending

DIY shotgun stock bending

I need a left hand cast on a shotgun stock. Has anyone done their own? I've seen it done with oil soaked rags and a blow torch on brownells on u tube. Can it be done with steam?

I've done it with a warped rifle stock the way you describe brownells do, use linseed oil, not boiled.

you're likely to ruin the finish, especially if the current stock is varnished, so be prepared to put the re-finish work in.

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    I've done it with a warped rifle stock the way you describe brownells do, use linseed oil, not boiled.

you're likely to ruin the finish, especially if the current stock is varnished, so be prepared to put the re-finish work in.
    Thanks. oil finish already on stock.

oh, if you try it, use a drip pan!

good luck

I did my Miroku Mk70, it had an oil finished stock anyway, I used steam to soften it, no damage to the finish.
    I did a little piece on it with pics, here I've started to bend my stock..carefully - www.ShootForum.com

Neil.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

2 heat lamps on a length of 4x2 made so you can move them away if needed, drip tray, linseed oil drizzled over all the time lamps are on, action in vice, pieces of wood between heal of stock and a wall, heat slowly, bend slowly, allow to cool completely and allow for spring back. Was in the trade years ago and done hundreds.

But be very carefully, can split some stocks with week grain, can char easily......

heat lamps are the easist to use 1/2 hour or so when the heat has got through it will suddenly feel easy to bend , dont be in a rush take your time setting it up ,and remember to push it the correct way ,always take off the trigger guard and set the screws up tight in the action tang ,if you are putting a lot of cast on ,you might have to do a little work on the saftey linkage if it bindes in the slots in the wrist after , plain cooking oil will do ,put a little extra cast on to allow for spring back , you will proberly have to bend the trigger guard strap to fit back into the inletting , if the stock is a burr walnut and the burrs run into the stock at the wrist wrap a paper towel around it and soak it with linseed oil thinned with turps for several days and realy take it carefully , the higher the value of the gun the better heart work out you will get just,alterd a churchill with lovely wood to left hand ,that set the heart rate up a notch .

Thanks for all the advice gents .