Thornit powder

Uncle Norm

Does anyone have knowledge or experience of the use of Thornit powder for irritation is dog's ears ?

I'd avoid anything powder based around the ear. Even the instructions advise avoiding the ear canal.
It looks like zinc oxide, mildly antibacterial, but probably of no use.
If the ears are persistently bad a) treat for fleas b) get them checked.

I have nothing positive to add, only that not seeking appropriate treatment for ear infections can lead to permanent narrowing and in extreme cases surgery. I have lost count of the cases I could have cured if presented to a vet sooner.

Something is causing the 'irritation'.

Thank you for the responses. My young Lab Ruby had an ear infection a couple of months ago and I took her straight to my vet who sorted it out and promptly. I always take my dogs to my vet at the first sign of any trouble.
I had my Border terrier operated on this last Monday. £483 poorer but Sarah did a good job as ever.
I was curious about Thornit as a friend of mine uses it as a preventative on one of his dogs that is prone to an ear irritation. She also goes to the vet if in trouble. My pal thinks that it helps. It certainly smells like it ought to do something !

In terms of prevention I love Epi Otic. It's mildly antibacterial and antifungal. It is the best thing going for dissolving ear wax. Brilliant to use one every couple of weeks to keep things clean. In floppy eared dogs like spaniels clipping the hair below the ear can make a lot of difference.

Back