Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .308 query

.308 query

Just beginning to think about getting a .308, for a variety of reasons.

Are the police likely to grant one if none of my permissions have anything bigger than roe on them, but I say that I have invitations from friends with red and fallow?

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post

Are the police likely to grant one if none of my permissions have anything bigger than roe on them, but I say that I have invitations from friends with red and fallow?
    A written invite or paid for booking would suffice. atb Tim

A letter of Authourisation from your friends would suffice but just remember that the land should be checked, have your "friends" had clearance for 30.cal on the land already.
    Too Old Soon Too Late Smart

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post

Ask them to quote the piece of legislation that says you can't shoot a roe with a .308. They won't be able to. If they still say no then ask them how you're going to shoot them in long grass when a .243 is probably going to deflect therefore probably injuring the animal. That therefore means that you would be being cruel which is illegal and they would be complicit as they have refused you a calibre which is less likely to deflect
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Thanks folks - much appreciated.

Patjack: does the letter of authorisation have to be the same as a normal permission letter, or can it be 'I invite Mr X to accompany me on stalks where I have authorisation to shoot etc etc'?

Teyhan: does the deflection argument work? There's an awful lot of bracken out there...

I have just applied for a 308 as i have just taken over some hilly ground in yorkshire and i said it was for sika and red on wind blown hills and i needed the extra bullet weight to enable a clean kill

a .308 will do the job just fine,as said it can be used for larger game on a paid stalking basis, and also is a popular calibre for target use, allowing you to have one rifle with multiple uses, rather than several different calibre rifles for different purposes. the deflection argument doesn't convince me sorry.
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

I really like my .308 on roe , but I also like the .243 . If I had to choose one it would be the .308 but beware deflections still happen !

Quote Originally Posted by teyhan1 View Post
    Ask them to quote the piece of legislation that says you can't shoot a roe with a .308. They won't be able to. If they still say no then ask them how you're going to shoot them in long grass when a .243 is probably going to deflect therefore probably injuring the animal. That therefore means that you would be being cruel which is illegal and they would be complicit as they have refused you a calibre which is less likely to deflect
    So you are saying that a .243 will probably deflect and a .308 won't deflect the shot, to many factors involved bullet weights type of bullet velocities distance how much grass between deer and clear area, how many stalkers would shoot through very long grass/obstructions? did you see the testing that Roy lupton did concerning deflection? be interesting to hear the response from FSEL dept when you put that case to them.
    Too Old Soon Too Late Smart

Just apply for the 308 for deer stalking but do not specify which species. All you should have to do is prove that you have good reason which is self evident as some of your ground has a population of Roe. The 308 is very commonly used for smaller deer species and certainly isnt excessively powerful. If they argue then you could ask for a different calibre for each species!!