16 yr old shotgun question ?

cervushunter

Hi all,

Hope someone can help, my son is 16 on Sunday he already has a shotgun certificate.
On Sunday he is off to stay on his uncles farm for half term week. His uncle does not have a shotgun certificate.
He would like to take A shotgun with him ,all shotguns we have are on MY certificate although we call one of them his :confused:

Is he allowed to take one of the shotguns on my cert ? He will be away more than 72 hours.

Will he be able to take it if i gift it to him (pretty sure i can gift it to him) ?

Is he allowed to carry the shotgun in public with an adult present ?

If so does that person also have to hold a shotgun cert ?

Assuming all is ok and he can take it , can he use it unsupervised on the farm ?

Thanks in advance.

I / we normally shoot together so we dont have any problems.

Hi all,

Hope someone can help, my son is 16 on Sunday he already has a shotgun certificate.
On Sunday he is off to stay on his uncles farm for half term week. His uncle does not have a shotgun certificate.
He would like to take A shotgun with him ,all shotguns we have are on MY certificate although we call one of them his :confused:

Is he allowed to take one of the shotguns on my cert ? He will be away more than 72 hours.

Will he be able to take it if i gift it to him (pretty sure i can gift it to him) ?

Assuming all is ok and he can take it , can he use it unsupervised on the farm ?

Thanks in advance.

If they are only on your certificate not his then he is held to the 72 hour rule.
At sixteen he does not need to be supervised.

You may gift the shotgun to your son. In view of the 72 hr provision, I would recommend that you enter the details on his shotgun certificate and notify your licensing unit (they may accept e-mail notifications). If it suits your situation, ask them to show either you or your son as the possessor and the other as the borrower and to keep the gun on both certificates. If you do not wish to keep it shown on your certificate, then simply notify the unit as a straight transfer by gift.
As your son is 16 and the holder of a shotgun certificate, there are no other age related restrictions. He does not need to be supervised.
I hope he enjoys his holiday.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

The croc aka Brian :lol: I will check with NGO but I must admit using this forum is generally easier and better :eek:

We must catch up sometime mate.

Sounds like a plan Mark, as you may have gathered my plan for the marsh went out the window due to work, sorry about that mate, will have to be next season now

Hi all,

Thanks in advance.

Why didn't you just get all of your Shotguns listed on his cert when it was granted?

Why didn't you just get all of your Shotguns listed on his cert when it was granted?
i have a grandson in the same position, i lent him one gun ,though he cannot pruchase cartrages ,the idea of putting all my shotguns on his cert,is a non starter ,the thoughts of a youth romping around the hills ,sliding on ice leaping over gutters ,and clattering my guns around ,NO he will use what he is given, it will goad him into saving up and getting his own guns to dent the tubes and crack the stock ,or am i just a grumpy old man.

Back