Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What ATV?

What ATV?

I have been thinking about my 4x4 requirements recently.
    I have thought about a 4x4 car. But to be honest the running costs really put me off. Plus I have a real need of a van so buying two cars to replace my renult is not going to happen.
    A mate of mine at work had just bought a road leagal ATV. Which looks like it would do most of what I need for a 4x4. But at less running costs. And I wonder if I put it up some ramps into the back of a van. It could then be used on the ground a bit further afield.

So what recommendations would you make regarding a second hand ATV? And what should I look out for in a second hander? Where is a good place to look for one? How much does it cost to run a ATV? How much should one cost? Are parts readily available?

Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by Simjim33 View Post
    I have thought about a 4x4 car. But to be honest the running costs really put me off. Plus I have a real need of a van so buying two cars to replace my renult is not going to happen.
    A mate of mine at work had just bought a road leagal ATV. Which looks like it would do most of what I need for a 4x4. But at less running costs. And I wonder if I put it up some ramps into the back of a van. It could then be used on the ground a bit further afield.

So what recommendations would you make regarding a second hand ATV? And what should I look out for in a second hander? Where is a good place to look for one? How much does it cost to run a ATV? How much should one cost? Are parts readily available?

Thanks for your help!
    we have been using a utility vehicle which is road legal and an awesome bit of kit if you can find a decent used one that's the way to go much cheaper to buy this way we have one like this, it's stable carries a good load and keeps a lot of the bad weather off I would advise to keep away from a quad been there done that and got the scars to prove it.....

keep an eye of Fleabay usually get some good examples pop up now and again, look for names such as Kawasaki, Polaris, John deer, JCB, ....

JohnDeere Cross Over Utility Vehicles
    Last edited by MONGOOSE; 13-02-2013 at 22:32.

I know my Yamaha 450 costs about 42p/mile for fuel alone .

SD Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Munty_Hunter View Post
    I know my Yamaha 450 costs about 42p/mile for fuel alone .
    ....you should take it out of first more often.....
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Quote Originally Posted by Simjim33 View Post

Thanks for your help!

Jim - try and remember this and you won't go far wrong ! ALWAYS BUY HONDA !!!!

Apart from that its important it has the double rear shocks and selectable 4wd !
    Never get one with electric gearshift .
    this is what works for me , we change ours every 2 years . But remember ! ALWAYS HONDA

Good advise on the honda, got a 4x4 300 big red , its cheap to run, light weight if you get stuck or heaven forbid roll it ,and most of all ultra reliable, if you go down this road get a leson or two , it will give you confidense to use on tricky terrain , but more importantly show you the dangers of incorrect use on tricky ground , hope that made sense, ATB arron.ps paid 1300 quid 5 years ago its a 96 and has a super whinch on the front
    Last edited by arron; 14-02-2013 at 12:34.

Quote Originally Posted by acm View Post
    jim - try and remember this and you won't go far wrong ! Always buy honda !!!!

Apart from that its important it has the double rear shocks and selectable 4wd !
    Never get one with electric gearshift .
    This is what works for me , we change ours every 2 years . But remember ! Always honda
    a good bit of advice for once
    thought youd reply with dont buy a gaylander :d regards pete

The Army use Yamaha in Afghanistan, they used to use Honda!
    To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

If your thinking about a UTV do not discount the Yamaha Rhino.

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by pilgrimmick View Post
    The Army use Yamaha in Afghanistan, they used to use Honda!
    budget cuts ?