Best practice guide

The Scottish version is the original (and best). The English version is mostly copied, with little tailoring of much relevance to England/Wales.

I understand it costs SNH about £45 to print every copy.

Don't hold your breath for any automatic updates from SNH this is utter crap WS. I've been subscribed for three years, and my partner 2 years, and there has not been any update from them. Neither has there been any update on the website, from which all the material may be freely downloaded in .pdf form, if you want to keep it on your ipad etc. But please, order the hardcopy too, it is over-lavishly printed on glossy waterproof-laminated pages in an A4 ring binder. Completely OTT but nice to own.

It is a superb publication, every stalker should own a copy, before the demise of Best Practise means it may become unobtainable in future.

Ive been a subscriber form the beginning of the best practice, I've had various updates from them the latest of them being :public access signage ,lone working ,public access, training ,and merger update ,maybe it's time you phoned and asked .

As for the comment of over the top have a wee look at some of the publications out there that you pay a small fortune for, that don't hold a eighth on the content of this guide.

The way it. is laid out is excellent for reference ,making out lesson plans for teaching and for general reference overall one of the best tools in the box.

It is just a pity the the man running the best practice department for SNH (mike cottam )is being forcibly retired by SNH Due to more government cuts ,Mike is well placed with in best practice having a better grip on best practice than some wee lassie that ,doesn't know one end of a deer from another ,being a old school stalker he has the knowledge ,and ability to relate to deer and deer stalking issues,which is about to be lost ,once again leaving us with phone call after phone call, till we get to the right person, with deer stalking knowledge whom has the relatable skills in the field to answer the questions,put to him .just goes to show when the big fish swallow the wee fish ,the implementation and changes seldom work for the better .

Last edited:
Ive been a subscriber form the beginning of the best practice, I've had various updates from them the latest of them being :public access signage ,lone working ,public access, training ,and merger update ,maybe it's time you phoned and asked .

I will try to contact them to find out if I have missed any updates. I've just checked, and I actually subscribed in September 2011, which isn't as long ago as I thought. My partner subscribed the following month, from a different address, and she has not received anything either. I've looked at the website and haven't noticed any new additions. According to the website the last newsletter was in August 2011.

As for the comment of over the top have a wee look at some of the publications out there that you pay a small fortune for, that don't hold a eighth on the content of this guide.

You misunderstand me. By lavish and OTT I mean that the quality of printing and the lamination of every page seems almost extravagant, but it is a lovely thing to own. The content is superb.

I've also attended one of the Best Practice events, and was very impressed.

Such a shame if this good work is to be squandered.

Ive just got the SNH good practice guide today, had a quick look through and looks really informative. I'm new to stalking (only 1 year in) and i think it'll be a big help.

Liam.

I got mine and at £15 it's a bargain especially since the postage was £9. The SNH should genuinely take the postage costs into consideration because even at £24 it would be well worth buying.

As a new stalker I've been nosing round on Amazon wondering which (expensive) books were worth shelling out on. But having read this thread last week I popped a cheque in the post at the weekend.

Just arrived home to find a massive, glossy folder full of useful stuff sitting on the table. So not just amazing value but amazingly quick too!

Big thank you to SNH.

Back