Thread: Question to stalkers from the USA

Question to stalkers from the USA

Hello, I'm a fairly new member from the States with a question to ya'll. Am i to underatand from reading here that you fellows have to pass a test before you can hunt? I keep reading about DSC-1-2. It sounds like there are different levels also and i read where a fellow was having to pay an officer of some kind for qualifying. Could someone explain this to me as i have never encountered this. We here in the USA purchase a license every year for the game we want to hunt, then We go out and hunt. If you hunt outside the state you reside in you must purchase an out of state license from the state you hunt in. Thanks in advance. ......SEMPER FI!

Hi mate, the short answer is no we dont have to pass a test to hunt. However some firearms deptments do insist on any new firearm applicants have a mentor if they want to stalk deer. Some of us are lucky enough to be old enough not to have had to jump through such hoops.
    Tusker

As above, you do not require DCS1 or DSC2 to hunt in the UK.
    Visitors to the UK do not need any form of qualification from their own country to hunt here.

You do have hunter education classes though?
    For hunters born prior to 1985?
    And compulsory education before you can bow hunt?

Cheers

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by devon deer stalker View Post
    As above, you do not require DCS1 or DSC2 to hunt in the UK.
    Visitors to the UK do not need any form of qualification from their own country to hunt here.

You do have hunter education classes though?
    For hunters born prior to 1985?
    And compulsory education before you can bow hunt?

Cheers

Richard
    Hi Richard, Yes there is a hunter education program for the very young. I forgot about that. I'm much too old for ed. program though. I dont hunt with a Bow anymore either. In fact i don't hunt anymore at all. I have not been in the woods since my surgery. Dont think i'll ever hunt again to be honest. Shame too because i loved being in the woods after our white tail deer. You fellows do it the way i liked to hunt/stalk. One on one, thats the way it should always be. Thank for your reply,that clears up some of my thoughts. .....SEMPER FI!

Quote Originally Posted by Sargesniper View Post
    Hello, I'm a fairly new member from the States with a question to ya'll. Am i to underatand from reading here that you fellows have to pass a test before you can hunt? I keep reading about DSC-1-2. It sounds like there are different levels also and i read where a fellow was having to pay an officer of some kind for qualifying. Could someone explain this to me as i have never encountered this. We here in the USA purchase a license every year for the game we want to hunt, then We go out and hunt. If you hunt outside the state you reside in you must purchase an out of state license from the state you hunt in. Thanks in advance. ......SEMPER FI!

DMQ Setting the standard for wild deer management

this link may help answer some of your question.

In the uk we work within the seasons to shoot and stalk etc ,we don't have any type of tag system as the USA and canada has , here it is if you have permission to shoot deer on your firearms certificate and have permission by a land owner you may then hunt deer .

Quote Originally Posted by tusker View Post
    Hi mate, the short answer is no we dont have to pass a test to hunt. However some firearms deptments do insist on any new firearm applicants have a mentor if they want to stalk deer. Some of us are lucky enough to be old enough not to have had to jump through such hoops.
    Tusker
    Thanks for your reply Tusker. Yes i too know about being old enough and jumping through hoops all too well. Did much jumping early in the MARINE CORPS. Long time ago. Forgotten what it was like and don't want to again. Thanks again and good hunting/stalking. .....SEMPER FI!

Quote Originally Posted by widows son View Post
    DMQ Setting the standard for wild deer management

this link may help answer some of your question.

In the uk we work within the seasons to shoot and stalk etc ,we don't have any type of tag system as the USA and canada has , here it is if you have permission to shoot deer on your firearms certificate and have permission by a land owner you may then hunt deer .
    Hi WIDOWS SON, i read the link you provided and i must say, to me it seems like ther's a good bit of red tape to wade through. Actually confusing to me. All of the abbreviations of Dept.'s and forms got me stumped except for DSC. I have figured that one out, Deer Stalking Certificate right? Ya'll bare with me i'm learning here. Will read some more to see if i can clear it up for myself. Thanks for the reply, you fellows are much help to me. ..... SEMPER FI!

Hi WIDOWS SON, i read the link you provided and i must say, to me it seems like ther's a good bit of red tape to wade through. Actually confusing to me. All of the abbreviations of Dept.'s and forms got me stumped except for DSC. I have figured that one out, Deer Stalking Certificate right? Ya'll bare with me i'm learning here. Will read some more to see if i can clear it up for myself. Thanks for the reply, you fellows are much help to me. ..... SEMPER FI!
    The only part of this that really has mandatory requirements is obtaining a Firearms Certificate (FAC). That give you the right to buy a specified firearm and use it for a specified purpose, sometimes in a specified place (that's up to the Fuzz). But that DOESN'T give you the right to hunt anywhere, as there's almost no such thing as a public right to hunt, and not that much in the way of rights of access to land either, other than for walking through it. What the DSCs do is that they help in obtaining an FAC for the purposes of deerstalking, and they may also help to obtain permission to stalk, but none of this is mandatory. It just boosts your chances.

This is a typical English law mish-mash. Another example here is that having a fishing licence doesn't give you a right to fish. You still need the landowner's permission to fish, with some exceptions (navigable waters being one). So there are strict requirements to obtain an FAC, and everything else is subject to interpretation, negociation, private arrangements, etc. Unlike in France for example where you take an exam, pay a fee once a year to have your licence stamped and you're off. But then in France everything tends to be prescriptive and non-negociable. Everything here tends to be a bit vague and subject to discussion.

Welcome | bestpracticeguides

You will no doubt have come across the words best practice on this site, it is what we strive to work within the link above will give you a further insite to what makes stalking tick ,to the best of its ability .

SD Regular
    Hello, I'm a fairly new member from the States with a question to ya'll. Am i to underatand from reading here that you fellows have to pass a test before you can hunt?
    No. There is no need whatsover at all. In fact if you "buy" a day's stalking in Scotland you will be accompanied by the estate's stalker (aka "gillie") and you will be told which deer to shoot.

Or if you have an invitation in Bedfordshire to shoot muntjac from a tree stand (aka "high seat") you have no need at all to have a qualification that means you know the season for sika deer in Scotland and red deer in England. As it is unlikely you'll have either wander past your high seat and two if they did they are fairly easy to tell apart from a muntjac!

The legacy of Benedict Arnold lives in Great Britain. There are too many people making a lot of money (think charging ten people EACH US $ 160.00 for one day) out of this DSC 1 who actively promote it as it gives them a revenue stream. It contains a lot of knowledge but a lot of that knowledge is totally irrelevant to the "one species" deer shooter.

Do I really need to know what hormone causes a deer to shed its antlers, or WHY deer ruminate, or the name for the covering of deer antlers, or bizarrely who issues a night shooting licence for deer grazing on the edge of an airfield! (Yes, that last REALLY IS A DSC 1 question!).

So whilst many of the questions are useful a lot just are a padding to fill out the test with knowledge that isn't really of direct or vital importance to many who only ever will want to shoot just the one, or maybe two, species that they will only ever find on their land.

I wouldn't criticise anyone that has done it but, for many, it isn't really ever (apart form the field dressing), always totally 100% relevant to the staking that they do. However many leaseholders increasingly require it, for good or bad, as a known "benchmark" of knowledge.

All you really ever need to know are if it is in season and is it a safe shot. Other than that, perhaps, how to field dress (aka "gralloch") although again on most stalks where you pay by the day the stalker (aka "guide" or "gillie") will often carry that out.

Your British Visitor's Firearm Certifiicate if the condition allows for, usually, "deer and any other lawful quarry over land over which the Firearm Certificate holder has permission to shoot" is, in effect not only a permit to allow you to possess that rifle and its ammunition but, also, your "hunting licence" as you would call it in the USA.

And there is no tag system. If you get asked to cull six, seven, eight hinds in a day then you can. Equally if your paid stalk is for ONE DEER ONLY, say one muntjac, then it is for that and if you were to see say a fallow or a roe then you would not be allowed to shoot it. Unless you negotiated it with the guide...and usually agreed an extra cost.

And if you have paid, and don't see anything, well, there's no money back!

Like the guest at the estate who, walking past the estate factor's (aka estate manager) office to meet his stalker heard his stalker asking: "Now Sir, do you want me to get him a beast, show him a beast, or just walk him out?"

But as most charge a trophy fee, on male deer, by the number of antler points, or antler length or tusk length (according to species) then having the last of the three is less common today than, say, in the days of old!

Last but not least. There are no public hunting lands here in Great Britain. All land is owned by someone. Even if that someone is the Forestry Commission (which is like the USA National Parks Agency) you still will have to pay and cannot just drive into a forest and start hunting. However you can leave your dayglo orange clothes at he as her that isn't required by law!
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 14-02-2013 at 13:11.