Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .30 opinions please

.30 opinions please

Hi All,

Thinking about a .30 rifle for use in the UK and possibly abroad. Initially was thinking .308 was the best choice but have been reading about the .30-06 and am now a little confused. Can I ask those who have used these caliber what their opinions are as to why they chose their particular caliber and if they have any regrets about the choice in hindsight?

I'm trying to build up a picture of what will best suite my needs (UK deer and maybe s'thing a little bigger abroad at some point)....

Thanks everyone.

I just put in a variation for a 300WM

wanted something I could use in france (both 308 and 30-06 out for that purpose for the time being)
    needed to throw larger weights bullets 180-200 (covers everything the 308 and 3006 cover)
    ballistically very similar to a 270

Look steryotypically Americans are supposed to be all about the 30 cals be it a 30-30 , 308 , 06 or 300 WIN MAG .

And with that being said I own rifles chambered for all four as well as another 30 cal or two .

But............................................... ....................... ,

For me personally I would rather have a 6.5mm or 7mm of some type .

There was mention in a previouse post on this thread about the 300 WIN MAG . My own personal opinion would be for the 7mm REM MAG . This ones good for anything from a whitetail up to a moose .And the 7mm REM MAG is a bit easier on the shoulder then the 300 WIN MAG . I also however would not feel terribly under gunned with a 280 REM provided I wasn't after Yukon Moose or Alaskan Brownies . Oh yeah I have a 280 and a 7mm REM MAG as well !

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewW View Post
    Hi All,

Thinking about a .30 rifle for use in the UK and possibly abroad. Initially was thinking .308 was the best choice but have been reading about the .30-06 and am now a little confused. Can I ask those who have used these caliber what their opinions are as to why they chose their particular caliber and if they have any regrets about the choice in hindsight?

I'm trying to build up a picture of what will best suite my needs (UK deer and maybe s'thing a little bigger abroad at some point)....

Thanks everyone.
    I went went with .30-06, after trying both .308 & .30-06, in different bullet weights up to 168 grn.... The .30-06 will go heavier, up to 220 grn if needed, but I stick to 150 + 168, which do everything I need them to do.

.30-06 has a long action, will burn more powder than a .308. However, it is a good round with plenty of umph. Components for reloading are common, but it can be a bit temperamental to get a good load for your rifle, fun trying though, and great when you find an accurate load !!!

.308 has a short action, is a world class accuracy round, burns less powder, components are commonplace, as is factory ammo.

My opinion was the .308 `jumped` a bit more than the .30-06, which was akin to a strong push..... However, it is personal preference, and what you would `want` to use. Both calibres have killed a lot of game, so that they are both effective is not really in question.... It is what you want to shoot...

All the best.

Neil.

7x64 would be my choice.

Atb
    Moses
    "If you don't belong, don't be long"

I am a big fan of rounds on the 308 case, but once you get to 30 cal, I think the argument in favour of the bigger 30/06 case is pretty strong. The 308 is "competitive" with 150gr bullets, but once you go beyond 165gr, the 30/06 wins easily.

I have no issue with recoil either with or without moderator, it is perfectly pleasant to shoot.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewW View Post
    Hi All,

Thanks everyone.
    How about a nice continental double rifle from say; Blaser, Kreighoff, Chapuis or Merkel chambered to the .30R Blaser cartridge?

Get a win mag and load it to where you're comfortable, just because it can shoot fast doesn't mean it has to!

get a 30-06, because it's the best chambering ever created. ammo everywhere, loads of 'loads', lots of brass, shoots 130 to 220g, oh, and screw the french, shoot board in croatia or hungary instead!

Thanks guys. Is the .308 "not enough gun" for a Boar?

Also, never seen a winmag. How do FEO's view this round? Are they reluctant to grant permission (generally speaking) due to it's size? What's the animal's condition after being taken with one? Any significant differences re meat damage to other .30's?