Is this a Gold medal Muntjac?

Bill Bartlett

Hi, guys - just completed this battle scarred Muntie for a well known UK safari outfitter and wonder if it will make Gold medal status. Antler length is just over 12cm. Inside span is over 12cm. Circumference of coronets are over 9cms. Those of you that shoot a lot of Munties could perhaps offer an opinion. Thanks, Bill.

Hi, guys - just completed this battle scarred Muntie for a well known UK safari outfitter and wonder if it will make Gold medal status. Antler length is just over 12cm. Inside span is over 12cm. Circumference of coronets are over 9cms. Those of you that shoot a lot of Munties could perhaps offer an opinion. Thanks, Bill.

Hello Bill.

I shoot a lot of Muntjac, and this looks like it will go gold to me. The brow tines look quite short, but if they are at least 1cm, with the main beams being as long as they are it would still go gold.

Just FYI. In this weeks shooting times, there is the list of 2012 gold medals awarded, and the main beam range was from 9.5 cms to 14.7 cms, with the brow tines from 1 to 3 cms. I think you only need 61 CIC points for Gold, and yours is at the top end of the measurements, so maybe 64 - 69 points.

Nice buck, am sure he would be pleased with his trophy whatever the score....

All the best.

Neil.

Download the CIC red book and score it yourself.

Pretty straight forward to score a muntjac as there is no weight/volume calculations.

Pretty sure its;

round both coronets
Round right and left beam midway up the antler
Browtines right and left but, they need to be over 1cm to score I think(don't quote me)
Length of right and left antler
Spread (distance between both antlers midway up the beam)

Add up all right and left measurements and make note of the differences and deduct them to get the total for each measurement.

add all those together and the spread (as this has no deduction) and you've got your score.

http://www.cic-wildlife.org/uploads/media/red_book.pdf

ATB
Moses

cracking job bill. of next week myself for munty and cwd so hopefully get a cape for that old buck from last year and hopefully a cwd too!

With the dimensions you already gave, provided that the coronets are at least 8cms and even, the brows are at least 1cm and even and the mid-beam circumference is at least 5cms and even this should be a comfortable Gold. Even antlers are very important for muntie scoring as you get deductions for differences between the two antlers.

If the dimensions you gave are accurate, then as long as the coronets are at least 8cms and even, the brows are at least 1cm and even and the mid-beam circumference is at least 5cms and even I reckon this would be about 65 CIC and a comfortabl Gold. Even antlers are very important for munties at the smaller end of Gold as there are deductions for differences.

Back