Rifle/scope mounted cameras

Tamus

Technology with its ever more accessible price make interesting new options more affordable all the time. For instance, we now, quite regularly, see videos and/or video stills taken with relatively inexpensive cameras mounted on rifles or rifle-scopes.

Should we be concerned about the safety aspects of recording images with a device attached to a firearm?

Should this practice be discouraged?

What do we feel about such practice here?

Absolutely fine for capturing an image of what you shoot/ intend to shoot.

Nothing, but nothing, but nothing excuses anyone at any time from golden rule #2 - never allow your firearm to point at anything you are not prepared to destroy.

cant see anything wrong with it just got a hd bullet cam for my rifle looks great and has great quality footage, atb wayne

went to croatia last year on the piggies had a small digital camera mounted to the top of my 30-06 so i turned it on at the start of the drive and along came mr piggy and boom the camera exploded into every separate component it was made of
all i got on the dam thing was a pig running towards me

Tamus,

Nothing different than people putting lamps on their rifles to shoot at night.

What's to stop them panning?

Stan

Tamus,

So why not question the use of telescopic sights on rifles? What's to stop users scanning with them rather than using bino's.

Can't see this "different" safety issue that you are alluding to.

Stan

Tamus,

So why not question the use of telescopic sights on rifles? What's to stop users scanning with them rather than using bino's.

Stan

Well, apparently some people do use their high magnification aiming devices (rifle scopes) for tasks that they should be using hand held binoculars or spotting scopes for instead. However, at the end of the day an aiming device is just that and you won't tend to "pan" much with your gun's sights, if you are a sensible safety conscious shooter.

As far as I know, we do not have hand held aiming devices that we can use independently from our rifles (unattached they just wouldn't work, would they?) but we do have hand held cameras and lamps for use independently of our rifles.

The problem being that: video cameras and/or lamps do tend to invite you to "pan" them.... (that's actually how we usually use those things, isn't it?).

ps. I do have lamping gear, but not attached to my rifle... I find the idea of rifle mounted lamps not to my liking either.

Tamus,

Stan
I pan when foxing,with an open bolt, THEN I chamber a round once I have clearly identified a fox. If I could afford a decent nv spotter, things might be different. But until I win the lotto.......

Pete

Tamus
wot exactly is the problem???

Is it safe?

Or is it just asking for trouble?

I "thought" about fitting one to my rifle and that means actually "thinking"... So, I'm just asking what other people think.

What do you think?

Incidentally, I also received an email today which let me know that the French national hunting association is telling its membership not to fit such devices... makes you think... yes/no?

I have adapted the cluson lamp fitting to suit my camera/corder
but then it say's something about the French if they don't want to publicise their way of shooting
but who would want to see a thrush shot anyway

Absolutely fine for capturing an image of what you shoot/ intend to shoot.

Nothing, but nothing, but nothing excuses anyone at any time from golden rule #2 - never allow your firearm to point at anything you are not prepared to destroy.

Maybe you should explain to the other boys and girls just what "golden rule #1" is...

Treating every gun as though it were loaded is such wise advice.

I have adapted the cluson lamp fitting to suit my camera/corder
but then it say's something about the French if they don't want to publicise their way of shooting
but who would want to see a thrush shot anyway

Well, since our UK thrush population has fallen by about 50% over the last couple of decades and the French population hasn't, perhaps this is just another example of how hunting preserves the quarry.

Do you only ever record the shot?

Doesn't recoil disrupt that a bit?

Tamus i wont be pointing mine anywhere but what i am shooting at but you can also wear one ,small and easy to use i got mine from watching footage from a chap we went hunting in france with for boar. recoil is not an issue and is hd so decent quality. you have to be carefull on bullet cams as the fied of view is usually a fisheye lens so they distort easy but this one is around 62 deg so gives a good picture like i said you dont have to have it on the rifle , atb wayne
Garenne 19-01-13 - YouTube
DogCam Bullet HD Bullet Cameras
i picked mine up cheap off fleabay, atb wayne

Incidentally, I also received an email today which let me know that the French national hunting association is telling its membership not to fit such devices... makes you think... yes/no?

Just confirms something wrong with them French :stir:

Back