Sako A1.270W

vizslamad

Hi guys,
Whilst I am awaiting my variation for a .270 I have come across the above .The guy who I spoke to when I asked the condition could realy only describe it as an old hunting rifle in a good condition with just marks where the bipod has been and the blueing a little worn. The bolt has very little play and is smooth. On asking about the barrel usage I got the usual (about a 1000 Rounds) Bearing in mind this Sako is probably early 80s? What do you think?.
It will cost me £450 and comes with a Helios 6X42. I already shoot a Sako A2 in .243 and it has prooved to be reliable and a pleasure to shoot, so it would be nice to get virtualy the same in a larger cal. Am I about to waste money or is it worth spending more and getting a newer one?
Cheers all. look forward to your comments.
John.

Its not an A1, AV more like, check what is stamped by the serial number.
A1 are short action, A2 are medium. AV are long.
Its the one on guntrader.
There are quite a few 270s there.
It seems a bit pricey to me, offer him £250 and see what he says, its a buyers market for S/H guns.
Check the bore if you can, the gun should have a warranty, check it covers the bore.
Gun smiths like the old Sakos, A2, A1 etc, good simple solid action that they can rebarrel.

Hi John, it's a top rifle.

There's a few things to consider but the main on has to be the condition of the rifle generally. For £450 (seems a bit much) I'd expect an older used rifle in very good condition because that is a reflection of how well the rifle has been looked after.

It seems ok from what you've mentioned. The barrel should ideally be clean without any scores. The odd little mark you should expect. The scope isn't much for the rifle but you have the mounts so getting a variable in a decent make would be something to do. 270 is a cracking calibre so more mag for longer shots or less for close in shots is advisable (3-12 ish). Spend what you can on optics always because it really makes a difference.

If you like the rifle and feel of the action then certainly go for it but there's some things to say to get the price down. Start by saying that it's only an early 80's rifle (nearly 30 years old!) and the scope isn't much so will need replaced and although the rifle is in good condition you don't know how much ammo has been put through mentioning any marks. Make a low offer and see what is said.

If you have cash in hand and wave it baring in mind you will probably buy a scope too it's going to be hard to resist. If it's a gun shop selling for a customer then you might have to wait for the customer to respond to your offer. If it's a shop gun and if there's cash there and then the shop guys mouth will be watering.

good luck!

I'd never chance a standard factory rifle that old in a 3000fps + cartridge with "1000 rounds" through it UNLESS I could fire it for a group first.

That's an awful lot of rounds in what is a quite aggressive cartridge in terms of bore and throat erosion on a par with 7mm Remington Magnum velocities.

Its neither of those actions mate (I checked it out a while ago). Its a Sako L691 which is a different beast from the AV or the L61r. They have a detachable recoil lug (like some of the Tikkas) and were built mainly early 90s. Nowt wrong with them but they're not the same quality as the AV or L61R (Finnbear).

If you can get it for a good price and its in good nick then go for it as they are solid actions-which can become very accurate with a little work.

One word of caution: check out the bore with a bore scope (or have it sent to someone that can do this for you) as otherwise you're buying into several hundreds of pounds for a rebarrel. Lots of .270s I have seen have pretty heavy firecracking in the throat. Also the previous owner may not have been meticulous in his cleaning regime so take plenty of cleaning kit. The shop won't mind and if they do, walk away.

Regards

Gareth

Hi all,
I went with a friend last week to see this rifle, thanks for your advice everyone as it was a real bag of nails and you should have seen the scope. What this combination had inflicted on it over the years was impossble to guess but I would say it was worth maybe £175.00.

However, have now found a better proposition. It is a Tikka M65 that comes with 40 rounds has a scope but its rubbish for this cal of rifle and has only fired 17 rounds. Not a mark on it, looks like its just come out of the box. The guy who has it up for sale could not stand the recoil or the noise. Prior to this he had only shot a .22 RF.

Price £440.00 do you think thats good because he will not budge. The only drawback for me is that it does no have a Monte Carlo stock.

Look forward to your comments.

John.

Hold off.

There are plenty of S/H rifles out there, particularly older Sako.

The rifle you want will turn up.

Check out Guntrader and the classifieds in Sporting Gun etc.

The Tikka M65 is a solid rifle. Great flat bottomed actiosn that bed really well. Worth £400 tops. Scope is irrelevant. I would question the round count. If the rifle isn't exactly what you want then don't buy it.

Regards

Gareth

I know the Tikka AL65 John 's been looking at - it really has only shot 17 rounds from new, as the original purchaser is a local guy who was scared of the recoil and couldn't even get it zeroed properly. It has subsequently spent a number of years languishing in a nice dry cabinet - it really is immaculate with a perfect bore and throat (but the stock was too plain and pale for a 'wood tart' like me). It's from a time when Tikka rifles were built to a quality rather than a price.

I was sorely tempted but was offered a beautiful Parker Hale Safari the same week, so bought that instead.

John - I'll pop in and see what I might be able to get it for, as a regular customer who spends a fair amount in his shop - that'll give you some haggling room (plus if you're reading this - give me a ring as I'm back from chasing scottish roe bucks. I'm off work for two weeks now and there's foxes to be shot).

Adam.

Adam.

Theres a remington 700 .270 with a big T8 on the gun trader

100 shots old

Includes reloading dies and i think mounts for £450

Would have quite fancied it if i hadnt just bought a .243!

Dont know it that would be of interest?

Dan

Back