Which chainsaw

Magyar Vadász

Hi,

Any recommendations for a replacement chainsaw. The Stihl Farm Boss, 290, has finally packed up in a cloud of smoke. Ideally I am looking for something to deal with firewood probably go through 2x lorry loads in a year, a 12" lance is adequate enough. Seem spoilt for choice what is available so looking for a recommendation or a shortlist.

B/R Mark N.

I use a husky 346
15inch bar
copes with anything I throw at it with the power to boot
3 years now with very little probs

I rate the Stihl ms 442 very highly , but it might be a bit big for your needs . Try an ms260 , they are also very good .

depends on how much you want to spend really, but i like stihl better myself,but wouldnt go for the ms171 its to small really and hasnt got enough guts, the ms260 are good, but they have now changed to a ms261 which arnt as good as the older model.
may be a ms250 with a 16'' bar
atb
simon

I'm a Husky man myself. I use a 365. Maybe a bit bigger than you want with an 18" bar, but I use it for firewood all day long without any bother and its ideal for felling and tidying up fallen and hung up stuff. Big, gutsy, simple with no gimmicks.

All depends on your budget......got a stihl 261 16". Seen alot of work over last 8 months and not missed a beat. The 171 hasnt gotthe power........happy shopping

Hi,

Any recommendations for a replacement chainsaw. The Stihl Farm Boss, 290, has finally packed up in a cloud of smoke. Ideally I am looking for something to deal with firewood probably go through 2x lorry loads in a year, a 12" lance is adequate enough. Seem spoilt for choice what is available so looking for a recommendation or a shortlist.

B/R Mark N.

I would recommend a Sthil ms341 with a 15" bar it's a great saw and will last a lifetime.

MS 240 and MS200T here, between them they do all I need, the 240 in particular has been well used for a good few years now
with minimal servicing and has been absolutely fault free, highly recomended.

Neil. :)

Stihl great machines - so long as they start and with some models that has been a problem for me and a few others on the net. Replaced with a Husky and never a hiccup.

In fairness Stihl have a huge reputation and is popular with many pro's so maybe a user issue - but I got fed up of trying to please it!

Husky 560xp with a 15" bar will meet your needs. You could even fit an 8 pin sprocket if you want it to go faster! Don't think you will need it though!

I was in the same boat recently. Always had stihl before but Went to a shop that stocked stihl and husky and tried both side by side. Went with the husky 353 as it just felt more ergonomic to me. Very happy with it so far.

Stihl great machines - so long as they start and with some models that has been a problem for me and a few others on the net. Replaced with a Husky and never a hiccup.

In fairness Stihl have a huge reputation and is popular with many pro's so maybe a user issue - but I got fed up of trying to please it!

I found the biggest issue was fuel, is it fresh (or stabilised), is the oil to petrol mixture accurate.
I now mix 25 litres at a time, and although stihl oil has a fuel stabiliser in it, I still use the Briggs & Stratton fuel stabiliser in all the fuel we use at the lakes, for 2 or 4 stroke machines.
I can leave any of the machinery unused for 10 months and know they will start easily, every time, I started an old Johnserad saw the other day, it has not been used for 3 years, 3 pulls and away it went. The MS240 has not been unused since last january, second pull and it was away.
It really does make a huge difference, I also always use the high winter storage dose of the B&S stabiliser, some of our stuff like pump may not get used for a few years and they all seem to survive, that definitely didn't happen before the fuel stabiliser was used. Mind if the wet weather continues the pumps may get sold as it is at least 4 years now since I had to shift water from lake to lake to keep the levels as good as possible, must be the global warming :lol:

It always comes down to Husky or Stihl!

Personally, I've always used Husky [I like a company that will provide you with matches, rifle, motor bike and a sewing machine!]

A cheaper option worth looking at is Makita [just in name, it's a Sachs Dolmar] I know a few lads are now using them and the Forestry School have a heap for courses and have had no complaints.

I have a 13" Husky from 2005 which was on a deal at WMF, its been faultless and apart from replacing the pull cord not a problem. Has kept 2 log burners supplied for years and is big enough to cut up anything i need. Highly recomended

D

I found the biggest issue was fuel, is it fresh (or stabilised), is the oil to petrol mixture accurate.
I now mix 25 litres at a time, and although stihl oil has a fuel stabiliser in it, I still use the Briggs & Stratton fuel stabiliser in all the fuel we use at the lakes, for 2 or 4 stroke machines.
I can leave any of the machinery unused for 10 months and know they will start easily, every time, I started an old Johnserad saw the other day, it has not been used for 3 years, 3 pulls and away it went. The MS240 has not been unused since last january, second pull and it was away.
It really does make a huge difference, I also always use the high winter storage dose of the B&S stabiliser, some of our stuff like pump may not get used for a few years and they all seem to survive, that definitely didn't happen before the fuel stabiliser was used. Mind if the wet weather continues the pumps may get sold as it is at least 4 years now since I had to shift water from lake to lake to keep the levels as good as possible, must be the global warming :lol:

are you adding a stabiliser as well as the 2 stroke oil? How long does it take for you to use 25 Ltr of fuel?

i wouldnt recomend a stihl ms200T or any other top handled chainsaw for use on the ground, they can very dangerous if used incorrectly and legalily you cant use them on the ground
atb
simon

Back