Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Subsonic .17, 20, or .22 Ammo?

Subsonic .17, 20, or .22 Ammo?

Just wondering if it was possible to load subsonic centrefire calibres in these calibres? and if so has anyone experimented?

Relatively new to reloading so forgive me if this is a numpty question! Just noticed people messing about with subsonic .308 loads, so wondered why no one did it with other calibres? Is it possible?

Would love to try a subsonic 55gr 222 load if its possible

I've just started trying out TrailBoss loads in my 22-250, originally for plinking with FMJ, but not I've got an accurate load I'm considering working out loads for both SP at about 1600fps (like a rimfire to use !) and subsonic.

Bear in mind that a subsonic 55gr (let's say 1100fps) has < 150fpe at the muzzle, and around 120fpe at 100 yards, so expansion/fragmentation would be something to investigate before using it on quarry.

Quote Originally Posted by baconbuttie View Post
    I've just started trying out TrailBoss loads in my 22-250, originally for plinking with FMJ, but not I've got an accurate load I'm considering working out loads for both SP at about 1600fps (like a rimfire to use !) and subsonic.

Bear in mind that a subsonic 55gr (let's say 1100fps) has < 150fpe at the muzzle, and around 120fpe at 100 yards, so expansion/fragmentation would be something to investigate before using it on quarry.
    Still gotta have more whack than an FAC air rifle thought right? So could be the worlds most expensive (but fun) way to kill vermin? In terms of richochets I guess this is your point on the expansion/fragmentation issue... don't see that it would be any worse than a usual .22LR would it?

Could a lighter lead bullet (40gn) be cast/made that would shift the scales in favour of a flat but relatively slow round that would expand in the same way as a .22?

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyDoom View Post
    Still gotta have more whack than an FAC air rifle thought right? So could be the worlds most expensive (but fun) way to kill vermin? In terms of richochets I guess this is your point on the expansion/fragmentation issue... don't see that it would be any worse than a usual .22LR would it?

Could a lighter lead bullet (40gn) be cast/made that would shift the scales in favour of a flat but relatively slow round that would expand in the same way as a .22?
    Cartridge Loads - Hodgdon Reloading Data Center - data.hodgdon.com

run through here, there are a few subsonic .223 loads for sure, so I'd imagine .222 also.

Atb.
    Pete

22p-32p for me to reload, variance is bullet type. The bullet is 1/2 to 2/3 of that so casting your own would bring that down and I'm sure you could find an accurate bullet mould somewhere. I've yet to get into this side, so I'm not sure about needing to use gas checks at these speeds.

A 40gr load looks expensive compared to .22LR though, no matter what you do. And yes, I would expect a jacketed bullet at subsonic speeds to be just as susceptible to ricochet as a lead solid.

Done a nice subsonic 22-250 with gas checked 55gn lead bullet just for hoots n giggles, worked well.

Interesting to see people are doing it - so I'm thinking with a relatively cheap round like a .223 if you could cast a cheap lead slug and hollow point it out (using a case trimmer and drill bit) then this could be quite a fun option?

I realise it's a lot more expensive than the .22LR still, but if it were a viable replacement then you could almost not bother with a .22LR if you were just wanting something to do the odd bit of bunny bashing when invited out by a mate!

I'd be interested to know if anyone's experimenting with .20 subsonic loads?

I have been given some load data for 1050fps 85gr .243 using bluedot pistol powder
    sounds amusing!

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    I have been given some load data for 1050fps 85gr .243 using bluedot pistol powder
    sounds amusing!
    Sounds amusing haha! Let me know if you try it!