Subsonic .17, 20, or .22 Ammo?

BunnyDoom

Just wondering if it was possible to load subsonic centrefire calibres in these calibres? and if so has anyone experimented?

Relatively new to reloading so forgive me if this is a numpty question! Just noticed people messing about with subsonic .308 loads, so wondered why no one did it with other calibres? Is it possible?

I've just started trying out TrailBoss loads in my 22-250, originally for plinking with FMJ, but not I've got an accurate load I'm considering working out loads for both SP at about 1600fps (like a rimfire to use !) and subsonic.

Bear in mind that a subsonic 55gr (let's say 1100fps) has < 150fpe at the muzzle, and around 120fpe at 100 yards, so expansion/fragmentation would be something to investigate before using it on quarry.

I've just started trying out TrailBoss loads in my 22-250, originally for plinking with FMJ, but not I've got an accurate load I'm considering working out loads for both SP at about 1600fps (like a rimfire to use !) and subsonic.

Bear in mind that a subsonic 55gr (let's say 1100fps) has < 150fpe at the muzzle, and around 120fpe at 100 yards, so expansion/fragmentation would be something to investigate before using it on quarry.

Still gotta have more whack than an FAC air rifle thought right? So could be the worlds most expensive (but fun) way to kill vermin? In terms of richochets I guess this is your point on the expansion/fragmentation issue... don't see that it would be any worse than a usual .22LR would it?

Could a lighter lead bullet (40gn) be cast/made that would shift the scales in favour of a flat but relatively slow round that would expand in the same way as a .22?

Still gotta have more whack than an FAC air rifle thought right? So could be the worlds most expensive (but fun) way to kill vermin? In terms of richochets I guess this is your point on the expansion/fragmentation issue... don't see that it would be any worse than a usual .22LR would it?

Could a lighter lead bullet (40gn) be cast/made that would shift the scales in favour of a flat but relatively slow round that would expand in the same way as a .22?
Cartridge Loads - Hodgdon Reloading Data Center - data.hodgdon.com

run through here, there are a few subsonic .223 loads for sure, so I'd imagine .222 also.

Atb.
Pete

22p-32p for me to reload, variance is bullet type. The bullet is 1/2 to 2/3 of that so casting your own would bring that down and I'm sure you could find an accurate bullet mould somewhere. I've yet to get into this side, so I'm not sure about needing to use gas checks at these speeds.

A 40gr load looks expensive compared to .22LR though, no matter what you do. And yes, I would expect a jacketed bullet at subsonic speeds to be just as susceptible to ricochet as a lead solid.

Done a nice subsonic 22-250 with gas checked 55gn lead bullet just for hoots n giggles, worked well.

Interesting to see people are doing it - so I'm thinking with a relatively cheap round like a .223 if you could cast a cheap lead slug and hollow point it out (using a case trimmer and drill bit) then this could be quite a fun option?

I realise it's a lot more expensive than the .22LR still, but if it were a viable replacement then you could almost not bother with a .22LR if you were just wanting something to do the odd bit of bunny bashing when invited out by a mate!

I'd be interested to know if anyone's experimenting with .20 subsonic loads?

I remember reading once about the SSK Whisper cartridges based on the .221 fireball case. They were from 6mm to .338 as I recall. I've always been intrigued by a .22k or .222 subsonic using 50+ grain bullets for foxing on local dairy farms. Anything supersonic is guaranteed to wake up the neighbours. These bullets might have potential...

I remember reading once about the SSK Whisper cartridges based on the .221 fireball case. They were from 6mm to .338 as I recall. I've always been intrigued by a .22k or .222 subsonic using 50+ grain bullets for foxing on local dairy farms. Anything supersonic is guaranteed to wake up the neighbours. These bullets might have potential...

interesting
only real issue is reliable expansion at sub 1100fps
"The BTLF bullets contain a “Fragmenting Copper Core” that rapidly expands into tiny bits at velocities down to 1,600 feet per second"

Good evening would you be interested in shareing the data as i happen to have the ingredients but no data as yet,

Regards Martin
Blue dot is a very fast powder, be very careful as even a very small amount too much drastically increases pressures.
Most subsonic loads I've heard of that work use bulky powders such as 'titegroup', 'clays' or 'trailboss' as due to the bulk, it's hard (nigh on impossible) to get over pressure loads. In fact, I believe one of them is a case of 'fill the case, weigh, use 60%' for a start load.

Atb.
Pete

Blue dot is a very fast powder, be very careful as even a very small amount too much drastically increases pressures.
Most subsonic loads I've heard of that work use bulky powders such as 'titegroup', 'clays' or 'trailboss' as due to the bulk, it's hard (nigh on impossible) to get over pressure loads. In fact, I believe one of them is a case of 'fill the case, weigh, use 60%' for a start load.

Atb.
Pete

Thanks for the advise I am aware that Blue dot is not ideal I have some trailboss on order but i also have a small amount of blue dot looking for a home!

Thanks Martin

Just a heads about about TiteGroup, it's not a bulky powder, far from it in fact. For my subsonic .308 loads I use either 9.5gr of TrailBoss or 8gr of TiteGroup.

At the same weight TiteGroup is about 40/45% the bulk of TrailBoss and when filled into a case is slightly smaller again as being a small flake powder it settles well whereas TrailBoss is a much larger "donut" ring type which takes up more space.

Both work really well with cast round nose bullets, having shot 169gr A-Max, Nosler CC and Lapua Scenar at around 1050fps I found they would keyhole, the round nose lead work perfectly.

Trailboss has arrived one slight over sight forgot to pick up standard primers, i've still managed to go sub sonic though initial shots are promising.

Last summer with a trio of rifles in 308 I did subsonic with 220 grain jacketed bullets and 14.5 grains of Trailboss . We used that load to kill a couple deer and a few grundhogs . Oh yeah I was getting about 1050 at the muzzle from my Chrony .

Last summer I also did a Remington 700 Tactical 223 with the Hornady 60 V Max and 4.5 grains of Trailboss for about 1015 FPS .

The 223 shot very well at 25 , 50 and 75 yards with the groups at 100 opening at approx 2" . The 308's all shot sub MOA at 100 .

Incidently the 308's I used were a Howa 1500 , Savage Hog Hunter and a Remington 700 Tactical . All the guns were suppressed .

Back