.22-250 ballistics

easypeasy

Im considering trading in my .222 for a .22-250 It will mainly be used for night time foxing with Archer add on.
What would be the most common grain of bullet. I see they go from 36grn to 65grn and what sort of accurate distances are you getting from them in daytime.
cheers

What about something heavier? 75gr, 80gr? A headkeeper I met had his guys and girls all shooting heavy bullets at their foxes. I asked one of his under keepers when he last missed a fox and he scratched his head and after a bit of thought said about 2 years ago. Regards JCS

Iuse 63 grn sierra and I am just going to pick up 75 grn a max aswell, I used to always use 55grn. I changed my twist into 1 in 9 I will let you know. Too be honest I dont see that much of a diffrence at the distances I shoot with a heavy bullet, but they drop deer better. Maybe 400 yrds onward might make a difference Cheers Hootsman

Hi.i have shot Roe and Fox with my T3 22/250 for around 6 years now and a winchester model 70 22/250 before that as i love this calibre..the best bullets i have used are vmax 55 grain ballistic tip which i reload and swear by..but a factory round that is hard to beat is the sako 55 grain soft point they are spot on for a factory round,they shot a three quater inch group at 100 yards out my T3.

They go up to 80 odd grain if you have right twist. Most 22/250 rifles are 1 in 14 so really your be limited to 55 grain max really with 14 twist.

Not many company's make fast twist 22/250 I know savage do a 9 twist but imo unless you want to use it alot in day for longer ranges. The standard twist is ideal for foxing. 50 grain vmax.blizking or nostler all do great job on foxes.

Shoot 55 grain midway soft points through my 22/250 not had a fox get up yet.Doesnt smash them the way ballistic tips do but sure stops them.

Hi.i have shot Roe and Fox with my T3 22/250 for around 6 years now and a winchester model 70 22/250 before that as i love this calibre..the best bullets i have used are vmax 55 grain ballistic tip which i reload and swear by..but a factory round that is hard to beat is the sako 55 grain soft point they are spot on for a factory round,they shot a three quater inch group at 100 yards out my T3.

I use 55 grain vmax out my remy 700 dose the job just fine.

Regards kev

I think twist rate is the critical thing with heavier bullets in 22/250. I loaded some 70gn bullets for a friend and they hit the paper side on at 100m !

hi chap 50 or 55 grain nosler bt awesum flat and deadly my mate uses a 50 grain and its fantastic i used a 55 grain in mine till i sold it

+1 for Sako 50gr factory ammo - superb performance for £20 ish a box. I want to reload some 40gr for it, but the 50gr does what I want in a hassle free cost effective manner. I don't shoot more than 300, but it's spot on with minimal drop, zeroing 1" high at 100yds (so roughly a 196yd zero).

E t R

55 grain Nosler BTs work well, if a bit pricey, and are very accurate with more or less any suitable propellant. I've used Sierra 55 grain HPBTs (#1390) and they're just as accurate and deliver well but are half the price.

If you have a slow twist rifle (1:14") then it might not stabilise Sierra 55 grain Blitzkings: me Tikka T3 won't. Why not an issue with the Noslers? It's a mystery...

I've used Norma 50gn V-Max for years now & through my Tikka T3 they are deadly accurate out to 300 yds if I do my bit.

Drop at 300 with a 100 zero is around 7.5 inches so hold on top or just a smidge over a foxes head & your sure of a solid chest shot.

With a very good stable rest I'm sure they would reach out much further with as much accuracy.

Cheers
Chris

Back