Ok comments on a postcard please.

nuttyspaniel

1st attempt at crimping. I used a round which is to be pulled to see what was going to happen.

20130215_164702.jpg

Does it look ok?

These are with my new loads. The canalure is there purley down to a 20 thou jump which the rifle seems to like. Also Ive used the same pressure as the 1st picture.

20130215_164439.jpg

20130215_164453.jpg

nutty

Crimp looks heavy to me. Did it take much pressure on the handle?

And why crimp? Because it's what the cool kids do.~Muir

Ok cool crimp dudes. How this??

I can barely feel the crimp with my finger nail..

20130216_085708.jpg

cool crimp gang member
nutty

looks better
agree the first ones looked a bit heavy
I try not to replicate the depth that factory crimps have (only ones I have are RWS and they look brutal)

John,

one of the main advantages of crimping is that it will standardise the amount of shove required to launch the missile :), yours look a tad heavy to me, but I can't find me glasses!

John

View attachment 24850

cool crimp gang member
nutty

Hey nutty, that looks like a Nosler Accubond....it doesn't have a crimping cannelure !! So, there's nothing there to crimp in to.
Personally I've only ever crimped revolver and belted magnum rounds. I've never ever crimped any other type of hunting rounds - but I guess it doesn't mean you can't/shouldn't. ATB

Quite so !
I have re-loaded for over 50 years and have NEVER crimped bullets or tumbled cases.

HWH.

My sister has never eaten venison. Can't see the point. She has lived this long without it, just fine!~Muir

PS: If you're reloaded for over 50 years and not crimped, you have not needed to load for a multitude of different situations,weapons and cartridges that require a crimp.

Last edited:

View attachment 24850

cool crimp gang member
nutty

You look like you got your club membership card. I start with minimal -just a finger-tip nudge on the handle to get the ram to the top- and go heavier from there. I just looked at the ones I loaded for .223 last night. The crimp was only visible under a magnifier. Light, but it works.~Muir

Last edited:
Hey nutty, that looks like a Nosler Accubond....it doesn't have a crimping cannelure !! So, there's nothing there to crimp in to.
Personally I've only ever crimped revolver and belted magnum rounds. I've never ever crimped any other type of hunting rounds - but I guess it doesn't mean you can't/shouldn't. ATB

you dont need a cannelure to "crimp into"
it will still work without

... if you are using the Lee Factory Crimp Die. Others won't work.

Crimping is one of those things that is good to try and never hurts when done correctly. Cases the same length is a definite requirement if you expect it to work. I always fall back to this example, but in Hornet, the crimp alone cut my groups size by about 30 percent. I crimp almost everything these days.~Muir

Last edited:
Some of the more recent examples of groups fired with crimped rounds.(or at least the ones I'd scanned) If nothing else, it shows that it does no harm.~Muir

.223 Hart barreled Howa, 5 shots
HowaHartFeb12100Mwindsmall_zps18933cc1.jpg

.222 Model 70 Winchester, 5 shots
222group5shotsRED072.jpg

6.5x55 Wilson Barreled FN Commercial
Fn65120grain4757828.jpg

Last edited:
My sister has never eaten venison. Can't see the point. She has lived this long without it, just fine!~Muir

PS: If you're reloaded for over 50 years and not crimped, you have not needed to load for a multitude of different situations,weapons and cartridges that require a crimp.[/QUOTE

What weapons, situations and cartridges have I needed and been deprived of that required a crimp ?

HWH.

Back