Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: 87 grain vmax 243 help pls

  1. #1
    Distinguished Member 223's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Nr Newport (shrops)
    Posts
    1,919

    87 grain vmax 243 help pls

    Hi guys

    ive loaded some 87 grain vmax in my 243, I've used 35 grains of n150 and I'm getting 2720fps out of my 20 inch barrel.

    is that speed ok for a 20 inch barrel using this bullet ( ie will it expand correctly at that speed).

    I was expecting to see it going faster, what powder/amount do you use with this bullet and what speed you getting ?????????

    ATB

    Dave

  2. #2
    Vhit dont list 87gr in there data but it looks about right compared to the 85 and 90gr loads.
    Quickload have it at about 2533fps so your doing okay
    ...................................
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!
    Another 7mm08 shooter!

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by 223 View Post
    Hi guys

    ive loaded some 87 grain vmax in my 243, I've used 35 grains of n150 and I'm getting 2720fps out of my 20 inch barrel.

    is that speed ok for a 20 inch barrel using this bullet ( ie will it expand correctly at that speed).

    I was expecting to see it going faster, what powder/amount do you use with this bullet and what speed you getting ?????????

    ATB

    Dave
    Dave why do want the bullet to go faster??? I use hornady 87g .243 bullets, loaded with 36g IMR 4064, drives at about the same as yours, give or take, produces around 1850 foot pounds, it's flat, and great for Roe & Charlies, be kind to your barrel and pocket, you do not need as John Wayne said in True Grit to Glen Campbell "too much gun"

  4. #4
    Distinguished Member 223's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Nr Newport (shrops)
    Posts
    1,919
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
    Dave why do want the bullet to go faster??? I use hornady 87g .243 bullets, loaded with 36g IMR 4064, drives at about the same as yours, give or take, produces around 1850 foot pounds, it's flat, and great for Roe & Charlies, be kind to your barrel and pocket, you do not need as John Wayne said in True Grit to Glen Campbell "too much gun"
    reason being is 87 grain vmax travelling at 2720 fps only produces 1437 ft/lbs of energy , this rifle is mainly a foxing rifle as I've got my 308 as my deer round, but it would be handy to get the ft/lbs to 1700 just in case

    ive worked out it will need to be traveling at 2975 fps to reach 1700 ft/lbs anybody got and recommendations on powder to get there though a 20 incher

    ATB

    Dave

  5. #5
    5,8 90 FMJ Sierra 68,3 2.689 N150 1,98 30.6 805 2641 2,30 35.5 902 2959
    N160 2,41 37.2 836 2743 2,76 42.6 941 3087

    N160 posts slightly higher MV's for max loads (for 90gr anyway)

  6. #6

    HORNADY 87gr HPBT

    Quote Originally Posted by 223 View Post
    Hi guys

    ive loaded some 87 grain vmax in my 243, I've used 35 grains of n150 and I'm getting 2720fps out of my 20 inch barrel.

    is that speed ok for a 20 inch barrel using this bullet ( ie will it expand correctly at that speed).

    I was expecting to see it going faster, what powder/amount do you use with this bullet and what speed you getting ?????????

    ATB

    Dave
    Dave,

    The V-Max should give the same results as the Hornady 87gr. This is listed in the Vihtavuouri 2nd Edition as follows:-

    N150 33.7 @ 2757 to 37.9 @ 2947
    N160 41.9 @ 2744 to 46.6 @ 3084

    Your results sound to be in the right range.

    N150 is the only Viht. powder I haven't used, but with a short barrel I'd carry on with it at a higher charge.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

  7. #7
    Distinguished Member 223's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Nr Newport (shrops)
    Posts
    1,919
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinistral View Post
    Dave,

    The V-Max should give the same results as the Hornady 87gr. This is listed in the Vihtavuouri 2nd Edition as follows:-

    N150 33.7 @ 2757 to 37.9 @ 2947
    N160 41.9 @ 2744 to 46.6 @ 3084

    Your results sound to be in the right range.

    N150 is the only Viht. powder I haven't used, but with a short barrel I'd carry on with it at a higher charge.
    thanks i will try uping the powder slowly thanks

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by 223 View Post
    thanks i will try uping the powder slowly thanks
    You're welcome. Nice to get a thankyou.

    Also to see someone thinking outside the box & trying something new.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

  9. #9
    H4350 will make them fly Dave!

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    H4350 will make them fly Dave!
    Yep, H4350 will take you over the 3000fps mark without too much ddifficulty in a standard 243.
    I am achieving 3260 with H4350 / 87 V-max in my ackley.

Similar Threads

  1. 53 grain vmax
    By ziggy in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 30-11-2012, 20:04
  2. 58 grain VMax on Roe
    By ferretmanabu in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-09-2012, 06:27
  3. *SOLD* .17 bullets. 20 grain vmax and 25 grain berger's
    By jay 22 in forum Reloading
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-09-2012, 06:43
  4. 87 grain sst
    By taln in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 29-10-2011, 09:04
  5. 110 grain vmax for 30.06
    By sunrayshadow in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-05-2011, 16:59

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •