Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rifles heavy barrel or not ?

Rifles heavy barrel or not ?

Hi All, Im still new to stalking and have lots to learn but i have decided what rifle to get (something that doesnt weigh too much) but i am wondering how mant stalkers use Heavy / Varmint /Tactical rifles especially when i read a post where the Pro stalker uses a 308 Tactical rifle and a 338 Lapua Sniper rifle as his Estate rifles,"the 338 for confidence at longer ranges" how far is this guy shooting ? I thought the stalking part was all about getting close to the deer !

Can of worms this one. I personally dont have or use HB's. Just last week we ran a dsc1 course and many candidates used my finlite in 6.5. Though it wasn't allowed to get hot it was warmed up and shot every deer target dead. Everyone passed. So why have the extra weight?
    When I have tested all my rifles they all shoot the first x4 shots very well so why is that not enough?
    Even my fox kit is a sporter and my rem mag is too. 14 year old tikka and it shoot rws factory into 1 inch at 200ms quite happily.

I've had varmint/HB rifle for range use but would never consider one for stalking the extra weight is a killer over the time of a long stalk with a mod scope etc on top of that really no need IMO...

you don't need a heavy barrel like's been said but they are a bit less twitchy when you've those nervous types behind it. I have a T3 varmint in .223 with a mod and harris that weighs in like a small child but it's so nice and smooth to shoot.

I don't mind the weight but it's not for the lesser man to carry about the hill all day...

Bigger is not neccessarily better. Eskimo kill Polar Bear with a .22. Accuracy counts, IMHO. I am comfortable with those in the 30 cal. range, i.e. 30.06, 30.40, etc.

This comes up all the time and most people say go for a sporter weight barrel, even most varmint barrel rifles weigh in at around 9lb or so which to me is not much, i carried weihrauch air rifles all day as a kid without slings that weighed as much. Shots are off sticks, bipods or high seats so for me the weight is not a issue, i prefer a heavy barrel so i would choose a lighter scope/mod over a lighter barrel if it was a issue.

How many shots you looking to take?,..... If you were to get into a crowd of Hinds & take around seven or eight maybe, your sporter barrel would be up to it, heavy barrels are for our cousins over the pond shooting sixty+ P dogs at a time, I do own a heavy 'ish Border barrel to shoot at the range, throwing 69 grain .223's and it gets used for static Foxing, but I would not want to be carting it about much!!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Bang on rooster! I served exactly the same apprenticeship as you.
    I now carry a Sako75 with bipod, T8 and S+B zenith on top. I'm not a big man but this causes me no problem at all.
    ATB
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by talisker View Post
    Hi All, Im still new to stalking and have lots to learn but i have decided what rifle to get (something that doesnt weigh too much) but i am wondering how mant stalkers use Heavy / Varmint /Tactical rifles especially when i read a post where the Pro stalker uses a 308 Tactical rifle and a 338 Lapua Sniper rifle as his Estate rifles,"the 338 for confidence at longer ranges" how far is this guy shooting ? I thought the stalking part was all about getting close to the deer !
    What I idiot using a .338 lap ,there a clowns every where ,I think someone is at the wind up or requires to bring himself into the real world .

Quote Originally Posted by widows son View Post
    What I idiot using a .338 lap ,there a clowns every where ,I think someone is at the wind up or requires to bring himself into the real world .
    A headstalker in the Highlands, well thats what he says on his introductions page, doesnt say how far he is shooting with it though !
    Regarding heavy barrels, with most things to do with shooting i guess its whats the owner wants.