Thread: Bull Bars

Bull Bars

Having just purchased a Nissan King Cab I made enquiries about a bull bar.
    1. I was told they have to be made for the vehicle, you can't get a welder friend to fashion one for you.
    2. It could increase your insurance by hundreds.
    If you have an accident and your bull bars or tow bar is not factory fitted you might have no insurance, this was something I never considered before.
    Last edited by K333ROE; 16-02-2013 at 17:18.

Bollix. The laws relating to Bull bars changed a few years ago, and yes there are restrictions on fitting them to vehicles, but the insurance side is rubbish, I have had a number of vehicles with aftermarket, or even my own design bull bars and had no problems. Just tell your insurer up front and make clear that it is an aftermarket bar and you are covered.
    Oh and it has never increased my premium either.
    To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

On the other side of the coin. A mate of mine was quoted a huge sum for insurance for a 4x4 with bull bars . Due to the quote he did not buy the said vehicle and found another without BB for a much cheaper price. As with most insurances, it must be who your with.

Think the law change effects behicles registered afterit April 2007. Where only factory fitted collapsible bull bars may be fitted.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingy View Post
    Think the law change effects behicles registered afterit April 2007. Where only factory fitted collapsible bull bars may be fitted.
    This covers the new EU Regs.:-

http://www.lmmc.co.uk/bullbars.htm

ATB.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

What is the reason for having bullbars nowadays?
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

same as it always was , save your motor from damage

one way around having metal aftermarket bull bars/metal bumpers is to fit a winch as it then becomes structurally necessary. This is how all the serious off-road boys get around it.

Quote Originally Posted by trouble View Post
    same as it always was , save your motor from damage
    I know it sounded a daft question but they`re no where near as big as they used to be so don`t give the protection that they used to.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.