Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .300 Win Mag bullet choice

.300 Win Mag bullet choice

Hi,

Starting to reload for my .300 Win Mag. Will mainly use it for fallow/roe. With perhaps the odd red.

What sort of bullets are you guys using in yours?

I use 140grn Nosler BTs in my 7mm and like their performance.

Probably looking for around 170grn ish. Using Varget ideally too if that makes a difference.

TIA

I used 165grn Sierra Game Kings in my .300wm for years to good effect. Now use the same bullets in my .30-'06.

Not sure about Varget, I always used R22.

Glyn

Nosler BT or Barnes in 180 grain. You can use quickload to sort out a suitable powder. I use around 65 grains of IMR4350 with the Ballistic tips but there are plenty of good loads out there. Tried 150 grain federal factory loaded with Speer Hotcore. Similar to standing next to a grenade.

Quote Originally Posted by rarms View Post
    Hi,

Starting to reload for my .300 Win Mag. Will mainly use it for fallow/roe. With perhaps the odd red.

What sort of bullets are you guys using in yours?

I use 140grn Nosler BTs in my 7mm and like their performance.

Probably looking for around 170grn ish. Using Varget ideally too if that makes a difference.

TIA

i used sierra gamekings and barnes and another good bullet is the lapua mega if you can get them

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

Just starting out with reloading for the 300 Win mag, using IMR 4350 and i am yet to get on the range and try my loads. got a selection of 150 gr SP & BT bullets along with 165 gr and happen to have some 180 gr Lapua mega that i am looking forward to using. I have this selection to see what best suits my rifle and then i will take it from there.

i think all you can do is experiment with a hand full of different bullets and loads for testing.

All the best and have fun.

Three choices in my VERY biased opinion !

Barnes 168 grain TSXT

Hornady 165 SST

Nosler 165 BT

Not necissarily in that order either , decided to list alphabetically !

The three bullets above are what I use in a 300 Win Mag and a 300 Weatherby . Also if I'm able to get a 300 H&H Mag I'll use them in that as well !

Oh yeah also used them in the 300 SAUM with very nice results .
    Last edited by 6pt-sika; 19-02-2013 at 00:39.

I and three of my friends all shoot .300 winmag and we all use the same load.
    It is as follows - 64 grains Hodgdon 4350, 180 grain Barnes TSX round.
    this is a mild load in winmag terms, so is not a barrel burner. It does however take muntjac up to red deer, and has been to Africa too.
    I'm not saying it's for everyone, it just works for us. It chrono's at around 2750 fps, (out of a 21 3/4 " - 53cm barrel) and has 2156 joules at 300 metres. More than enough !
    Bearing in mind this is primarily a hunting round, it will still shoot 3 round groups of 15mm. It's much better than I am.
    Last edited by Rutland lad; 18-02-2013 at 18:43.

The trouble is that the .300 win mag is a calibre suited to long range and larger deer and those bullets that match the criteria are long and take up a lot of space in the case.

180-200 grain accubonds, 180 grain Swift Scirrocos and plain jane 180 grain Sierra gamekings should see you right.

I have just put in a variation for one of these and after doing so read a few articles about the relatively short neck limitations especially with the use of heavier/longer bullets.

my intention was to use it with 180-200gr bullets (otherwise there was not much point in getting it IMO)

do any of you that have the cartridge have any issues loading those weights?

When i had my 7RemMag i used bergers! they worked great even on roe. tiny entry, no exit but the heart/lung was mush. If you hit bone then i got damaged meat. However if i used Accubond, Interbonds or Norma Oryx they too created meat damage if they hit a bone. Out of the others i prefered the accubond and this is what i shall probably use when i get my 300WSM.