Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Atec-Mod stuck baffle - help needed

Atec-Mod stuck baffle - help needed

Hi all,

I have a Atec maxim mod and one of the baffles refuses to open. I have sprayed wd40 and left it overnight and no luck with it. Tried Hammering it slightly to loosen it and still it's stuck. Could anyone to me if there is any other way to get this open.

thank you

Quote Originally Posted by 30-06 View Post
    Hi all,

I have a Atec maxim mod and one of the baffles refuses to open. I have sprayed wd40 and left it overnight and no luck with it. Tried Hammering it slightly to loosen it and still it's stuck. Could anyone to me if there is any other way to get this open.

thank you
    Not knowing exactly how they are machined but I can only think of heat if you have tried wd40 and the like.....

Tried heat too with a blow torch and still no luck.

Try a set of oil filter wrenches.

How old is it mate?, Reason I ask is I bought one brand new a couple of months ago and my dealer said they now make them not to be taken apart. He said you used to be able to take the old ones apart but for some reason they stopped making them that way

Quote Originally Posted by deer man View Post
    Try a set of oil filter wrenches.
    just what i was going to write but deer man beat me to it

Mine comes apart, they do get tight, try a boa constrictor or oil filter wrench.

There is a synthetic O ring inside, so heat application should be 'judicious'.

The only real problems we see with Atecs are from ones religiously taken apart for 'cleaning'. Unless something is really amiss, left alone works well.

If they are to be taken apart then strap type tools are useful - one of the best I've come across was a jar opener with a grippy rubber strap from Poundland.

Of release type agents, I've still to encounter anything as effective as Kroil.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

I too have suffered this problem tried all sorts and found that wearing a pair of rubber gloves similar to what binmen wear gave me the grip to unscrew the baffles, worked for me and helps to protect your hands those baffles are a little on the sharp side!!!!!!!!!!!!

I always wrap an elastic band round, to get a grip.