Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: care of Stock on a wooden rifle

care of Stock on a wooden rifle

I had my wooden stock rifle out in the snow the other day and, after wiping it down and drying it out in the airing cupboard, the wood has a sort of grey sheen over it.

What is the best stock oil type stuff to get to rub on bring the shine back to it?

I had a look on the net and there are bloody hundreds of different oils, conditioning, polishing, wax etc that all claim to do the job.

Not looking for something that will change the colouring as it has a nice tiger stripe effect just something that will bring the shine back.

Cheers

David

Hi David,
    A couple of years ago I was recommended Stil Crin Wood Oil is comes in a small tin about 6" high with a red cap and a picture of gun stocks on the front.

A guy in the trade gave me a tin which has been ideal. I just dry the stock and give it a quick squish and a wipe over.

The writing on the tin is in italian so I assume I'm doing it right as my stocks still look good!

I would say you have a varnish, lacquer or similar that has absorbed water
    similar to the water rings you get on a polished coffee table

i would want to remove that grey sheen before applying a coating of anything.
    Philips Walnut Oil treatment is very good but there are lots out there

Quote Originally Posted by david1976 View Post
    I had my wooden stock rifle out in the snow the other day and, after wiping it down and drying it out in the airing cupboard, the wood has a sort of grey sheen over it.

What is the best stock oil type stuff to get to rub on bring the shine back to it?

I had a look on the net and there are bloody hundreds of different oils, conditioning, polishing, wax etc that all claim to do the job.

Not looking for something that will change the colouring as it has a nice tiger stripe effect just something that will bring the shine back.

Cheers

David
    Napier London gun stock oil is what I have found to be the best stock oil I have used.

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    I would say you have a varnish, lacquer or similar that has absorbed water
    similar to the water rings you get on a polished coffee table

i would want to remove that grey sheen before applying a coating of anything.
    Philips Walnut Oil treatment is very good but there are lots out there
    +1 on the Walnut Oil

I also use linseed oil...tend to switch between the two

I'm a HUGE fan of oiled stocks over the cheap factory varnishes that are used these days. First thing I do with any gun I buy is get rid of the varnish & get the stock oiled correctly.

You are welcome to try some of the oils I have here to see if they make a difference before buying some.

Quote Originally Posted by david1976 View Post

Cheers

David
    Hi David, try boiled linseed oil, cheap in any DIY store. Just rub well in and leave for a while,then buff off with a clean cloth. I am assuming that it is an oil finished stock and not varnished.

+ 1 on the linseed oil. I tend to apply it, leave it overnight and give the stock a wipe the next day. Works for me.

red oil,callum up at precision rifles,uses this,REALLY brings the wood up lovely,but as said above if it is varnished,it wont take the oil so well,cheers.
    Last edited by BIG white hunter; 17-02-2013 at 19:38. Reason: wrong wording!!

+ 1 boiled linseed oil if its an oil stock

+ 1 linseed oil lots of enfields and outher still going so it must be ok and keeps that water out

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    + 1 on the linseed oil. I tend to apply it, leave it overnight and give the stock a wipe the next day. Works for me.