impregnated woods for stocks?

fangler

Just curious but do you get impregnated wooden stocks on rifles? I guess the stocks would weigh a bit more as it is usually Done using acrylic melted in acetone and applied in a pressure chamber. The benefit is that you retain the the qualities of the wood but it is totally stable and will not take on any damp. I have never seen it advertised in conjunction with guns, and was wondering if there is a reason it's not done or whether it is something that has not been tried before.

That sounds like a great idea ! Some of the custom knife handles Dougster was making using this technique in his recent posts were stunning.

That sounds like a great idea ! Some of the custom knife handles Dougster was making using this technique in his recent posts were stunning.

I've impregnated wood for fly rods in the past, and it struck me as a way of gaining a very stable, wood stock without loosing the looks. The finish is akin to a. Oil finish in depth, but is utterly resistance to moisture, rot, warping, etc.

Fangler,

I have had similar thoughts in the past and wondered why manufacturers don't do stabilised wooden stocks. They would seem to be the best of both worlds.

I think the main reason they're not available is because there's a maximum thickness of wood that the resin will penetrate and stocks are too thick. I can't think of any other reason.

cheers,

Bob

Fangler,

I have had similar thoughts in the past and wondered why manufacturers don't do stabilised wooden stocks. They would seem to be the best of both worlds.

I think the main reason they're not available is because there's a maximum thickness of wood that the resin will penetrate and stocks are too thick. I can't think of any other reason.

cheers,

Bob
maybe that's it then, i've only tried it on smaller bits of wood. however i'm pretty sure that you would be able to get a good enough penetration (o0h matron!) on any thickness found in a stock given time and enough pressure/ vacuum. guess there must be a reason why they don't do it as it seems like a sensible option if possible.

Given that there are only a few sections of a stock that are very thick, and the amount of saturation the guy in the listed post seems to be getting, surely most of the stock would achieve total saturation, and those few bits that dont will effectively have the unsaturated inner portion of the wood encapsulated by the saturated outer portion?

Given that there are only a few sections of a stock that are very thick, and the amount of saturation the guy in the listed post seems to be getting, surely most of the stock would achieve total saturation, and those few bits that dont will effectively have the unsaturated inner portion of the wood encapsulated by the saturated outer portion?
And that is a pretty crude way of doing it. But you're bang on with the way that it would be encapsulated.

Speaking as a stock maker, one word.
cost!

The bigger problem is not impregnating stocks with resin. It is the choice of woods that are used by rifle makers.
Basically you seem to have 2 choices

Bad or good walnut and tulip wood!

Selection process for timber seems almost non-existent nowadays with the budget rifle makers. That's where the problems start.

Species selection and attention to detail can yield some excellent results.

But no doubt some will try and do it with soft woods and then charge you the customer lots more for it (laminates for example AKA ply-wood). Time will tell.

Please also remember that the finished size of the wood used in a stock is not the starting size.

For example if you were to cut a stock that is 62.5 mm wide you would start wit around 70mm thickness. thats the only way you can get the kind of finish that is required.

Last edited:
I’m surprised no one has mentioned weight albeit this would depend hugely on penetration. As the actress ...................................

If the wood is saturated in resin, then the strength would surely rise massively (and remove the issues of cross grain/ along the grain?) so the saturated wood would not need to be as thick to give the same strength

In truth I don't know but to achieve such wouldn’t this necessitate significantly altering stock dimensions?
Cheers

K

KGrHqZmIEullNI-wBQqIH4CEQ60_57_zps606c2c13.jpg

Speaking as a stock maker, one word.
cost!

The bigger problem is not impregnating stocks with resin. It is the choice of woods that are used by rifle makers.
Basically you seem to have 2 choices

Bad or good walnut and tulip wood!

Selection process for timber seems almost non-existent nowadays with the budget rifle makers. That's where the problems start.

Species selection and attention to detail can yield some excellent results.

But no doubt some will try and do it with soft woods and then charge you the customer lots more for it (laminates for example AKA ply-wood). Time will tell.

Simjim33,

I can remember you writing on another thread about timber for stock making, and the poor choices made by todays riflemakers. Can you give us an insight into what woods you consider better for the job than those presently offered?

I think this wood treatment under pressure sounds to be very interesting.

Simon

isnt this how they make toilet seats..?
resin and plastic coated wood.

brings a new meaning to a "**** stock"!

I suppose the cost aspect could be construed as an issue, but I don't really see how. It isn't an expensive process and the finishing time is pretty quick. If I was Doing it I would do the impregnation when the sock is nearly finished. The finishing should.if anything be quicker that a standard finish cos you just buff it on a wheel. You would get a higher strength to the wood and it does to an extent strengthen faults in grain. There will be a weight increase, but people have been hollowing stocks to lighten them for years. Dunno, wish it was something I could do!. You could also do customers current stocks!

Simjim33,

I can remember you writing on another thread about timber for stock making, and the poor choices made by todays riflemakers. Can you give us an insight into what woods you consider better for the job than those presently offered?

I think this wood treatment under pressure sounds to be very interesting.

Simon

I could certainly do that.
But in this case, a video would do the subject matter much better!
The staff at fusion stock works are working on a you tube video explicitly on this very subject.
The video will be out in about 2 months time. We have had that video planned for months. But time has not been on our side!

Pm me your phone number if you would like a chat on the subject of wood for stocks. Or come and see us at the deer stalking fair in march.

Back